W4-1337SA mltl - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2008, 05:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default W4-1337SA mltl

Hi. I am going to try a project using the Tangband W4-1337SA in a mltl configuration. I have a pair of bob brines Ft1600s which are great so i would like to try the Tbs in a smaller slim design. Does anyone know of a design? I`ve seen the threads on the Ht forum but these are not for a mltl design. Here is a link to the speaker driver.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ewRand=8943823

Here is a link to the HT forum design thread.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27583

Any advice appreciated, Steve.
Old 5th March 2008, 08:34 PM   #2
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have the design, I bought it from Bob for $25, I cannot give it to you as it is intellectual property.

I like to suggest you contact Bob(nice guy), if you tell him what you want he MAY even help you in the design of a cabinet similar to the design of LT1600 and pay the price of LT1600 cabinet design, I think that is cheap.

cheers.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Tangband w4 mltl

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98
I have the design, I bought it from Bob for $25, I cannot give it to you as it is intellectual property.

I like to suggest you contact Bob(nice guy), if you tell him what you want he MAY even help you in the design of a cabinet similar to the design of LT1600 and pay the price of LT1600 cabinet design, I think that is cheap.

cheers.

I`m not sure i`m following what you`re saying. You have a design from Bob that uses the Tangband Ti4 in a mltl cabinet? If so then I`m happy to pay him for his effort.
Steve.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:21 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I note that Jed's project from the HT thread was for multi-ways, with the final result incorporating rather more than a simple XO.

Great reviews from PE customers, and John apparently quite likes them too.

A quick glance at the TI's response would suggest that you could certainly try them full-range, but at the very least a notch filter or DEQ would be needed to tame that approximately 3 octave wide hump of well over 10 dB (as measured by John) , - "sparkle, they wouldn't lack"

Click the image to open in full size.

If Bob hasn't already done the math for an MLTL for this one, you could try Godzilla for a BIB, or Scottmoose for one of his creations.
Old 6th March 2008, 01:13 AM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

FWIW, when I 'run the numbers' I get short, tiny MLTLs tuned between 50-70 Hz, so to my way of thinking it needs a BLH to make it a floorstander worth the effort.

GM
Old 6th March 2008, 12:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I agree with GM that any MLTL for this driver is going to be too small for a floor-stander and is not going to go low enough to work without a sub. IMO 4" and smaller drivers ingeneral need to be crossed above 100-200Hz to produce any meaningful SPL. They should be used as mid-tweets, HT satellites and computer speakers.

If you want to pursue this with me, contact me privately.

rbrines@onebox.com

Bob
Old 6th March 2008, 12:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Tangband Ti 4

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Greets!

FWIW, when I 'run the numbers' I get short, tiny MLTLs tuned between 50-70 Hz, so to my way of thinking it needs a BLH to make it a floorstander worth the effort.

GM

I guess i need to look into how to design a horn for this driver then. How does one go about that. I t strikes me that a horn is going to be difficult to design for me that`s why i was looking at a simple mltl or bass reflex. Would one of the designs off the frugal horn site be worthwhile trying?
These speakers are going to live in my living room and therefore have to be relatively high in waf . They don`t need to reach 30hz i was hoping to achieve closer to 50hz.
Steve.
Old 6th March 2008, 03:47 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Bib

BIB is a very basic kind of horn - the construction couldn't be simpler, and generally results in something of a floor stander.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp

All that needs to be done is for someone familiar with the design to run the numbers, and see if something practical results. There are already several TB BIB designs posted on Mr Zilla's site - he may have already worked this one out.

If the calculated length is too short to allow proper coupling to the ceiling boundary, which is an essential component for maximum performance with this design, then it can likely be inverted.

Regardless of what enclosure loading you decide for bass response, you'll still need to deal with that upper frequency issue if running this driver full range.

Old 6th March 2008, 04:12 PM   #9
LAL is offline LAL  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a pair in a shorten version of the Suzy Chang cabinet(shortened out of necessity because of speaker location) Actually seems to work quite well. Noticeably more bass output than with a bass reflex cabinet. Perhaps Scott can design a cabinet specifically for this driver or recommend an existing one if he thinks Suzy Chang can be bettered. Used this way with a subwoofer crossed over around 80Hz makes a very nice system.
Old 6th March 2008, 06:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Tangband Ti4

So what horn do you guys think would be best for the TBs? I don`t know how to model a bib and my computer freezes every time i try to load the modelling program. The Suzy chang looks nice but i don`t know if i should use a box designed for another driver ala Fostex 107. I love the look of the double horns but i don`t know if any would work.
steve.

Hide this!Advertise here!