The Flu is a productive place to be. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2008, 11:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Flu is a productive place to be.

Well, I have had the flu for the last few days and have been holed up in the house (except for my foray to class which was entertaining to say the least. My students all asked me why I was there (so did my department chair)).

That said, it has made me quite productive. (and a little stupid as can be seen in posts over the last few days). Regardless, I have been working on the 168 Sigma enclosure and it looks like it's a winner! Relatively compact and wife friendly, they will easily reproduce 40 Hz and possibly lower in-room response. I am now thinking that this is the set I want to build next. Well, one more from me to all of you. I hope you enjoy! Plans will be drawn up and put up soon.

Tom

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th March 2008, 12:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Alright, I am sick of trying to post inline images. They keep disappearing. Ah well, here are the images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spqr iv copy.jpg (40.7 KB, 602 views)
Old 5th March 2008, 12:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

And the Plot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plot.jpg (45.4 KB, 500 views)
Old 5th March 2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The Flu is a productive place to be.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harderror Relatively compact and wife friendly
Relative to what, a Smeg refrigerator? They do look good though.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Relative to my kind of insanity.
Old 5th March 2008, 12:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Relative to my kind of insanity.

But I do love your insanity Scott!

Tom
Old 5th March 2008, 01:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: The Flu is a productive place to be.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ropie

Relative to what, a Smeg refrigerator? They do look good though.
Hehe, well I was thinking more in terms of like Scott said, his enclosures are large and I would think wife angering. Not to mention, getting real bass out of an enclosure without corners (even with corners for that matter) is difficult at sizes any smaller than this. One may mention the Frugal Horn, but to use that without corners requires some objects that would more likely than not be more objectionable than the Model IV by far. Not to mention, AFIK you probably will never see the depth of bass you can get out of this enclosure.

Tom
Old 5th March 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

>>> Well, I have had the flu for the last few days and have been holed up in the house...

Me too. Hope you are feeling better. Last night i did a cable swap for something thicker and feel it smooths out the top end grunge. It can be relaxing sitting behind your stereo swapping wires when feeling a bit sick. Then i sat for about an hour listening to Shelby Lynne and fell in love again (with yet another woman). Listening to BIBs really is a treat. Since building them i realize with clarity why so many music lovers enjoy and swear by back horn speakers. They really provide insight into the music by revealing micro detail (breaths, fingers on strings, a mis-hit of the drum, etc.) with ease. Everything shrinks back down and sounds 'reproduced' when you go back to regular box speakers. Back horns really open up and give the listener a huge soundstage to revel in. Made my tummy feel much better. Neat box btw, I would like to hear a pair. It might be fun to try and determine the best design for the Fostex 168. Without doubt, several back horn designs will contest the top spot.

Godzilla
Old 6th March 2008, 03:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I tend to agree with you. I recently had a similar experience with Casandra Wilson when I set up my new amplifier and went to 0 ohm 0 inductance speaker cables. Definitely smooths things out.
168 Sigma shootout! I would be very interested in a little friendly competition. Who would build though. And with all of us so spread out, we would have to have a get together for a few days somewhere for the shootout. Ah well, I hope you feel better. I am off to bed to be with my cough and my upset stomach.

Tom
Old 6th March 2008, 04:07 PM   #10
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Be thankful for the flu...I was just Dx with mononucleosis. Couldnt figure out why that bad cold going around lasted as long as it did. (all of February) Or why I suddenly had a gut. (enlarged spleen.) or stiff joints, or blurred vision, or puffy eyes, or the lean weight loss/water gain. Suddenly it dawned on me I had several symptoms of Mono... Got blood work done, sho nuff, Epstein-Barr. don't know why it presented now, instead of years ago.. I fear I may be developing an ear infection now,...what a mess .....but, reading online, and listening to my 168 BIB's keeps me alive. The leukocyte Rx doesnt like UV rad so I even have to stay out of the sun as well.

FWIW, the FE168 BIB has lasted in my living room far longer than ANY speaker, since I was maybe 21. The thing about these Sigma drivers, is, as TC pointed out to me going five years ago, you only get to really hear what they are capable of once they are very well worn in, and they are intended this way, -transducers for a long haul. FE168BIB A++ Jeff, I agree about your assessments and observations. And, they hit faaar lower than just 40Hz in my room. They get all of the Alembic fretless bass and easily pass the FleckTones "Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo" test. And, you can run them with 2 watts. Hoo could ask for more.

Hide this!Advertise here!