Newly born Bruce(s)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
Quite stunning Bruce Christopher.

dave

PS: don't try to preview a picture it will get lost...

Thanks Dave that means a lot coming for you and Scott. Let me take a minute and (try to) sum up my findings. Having had several friends over the last few days to hear them, everyone has expressed the same, Wow... only ONE driver!

As for the music choices I tried several direct disc albums, as well as CDs and my iRiver running RockBox. Artists included Quincy Jones, George Benson, Herbie Hancock , Alison Krauss, The Carpenters, James Taylor, etc.... Mostly light but with a little RUSH to liven it up. Everything sounded wonderful, vocals are simply amazing. One thing I did notice was the bass lacked the punch I wanted.... That is until I placed a few books under each cabinet, Wow that made all the difference.

On a damping note - I tried 1 inch fiberglass on the bottom, back and one side in just one of the cabinets(R side). What I found is that I, and several others, preferred the undamped cabinet. There was a noticeable drop in the HF and in volume coming from the damped cabinet. I wonder would cotton felt make the difference? And what would that difference be?

Let me again thank Scott and Dave for there wonderful design and everyone for answering my annoying questions.

Chris

Audiophile in training

planet10 said:
Christopher will need to caption this pic...

This picture(s) are of my current setup a Luxman R1050 and a B&O 1800 turntable. As well as showing the large cabinet(s) which feature Electro-Voice sp12c drivers with an X36 crossover connected to a T35a tweeter. The smaller cabinets to the left are the ones the Bruce(s) replaced. They are the recommended cabinets for the Electro-Voice MC8A fullrange driver.

Chris

bluemartini said:
Is your construction 3/4 inch melamine coated particle board or something else?

It was 3/4" MDF from a local Habitat for Humanity store. It was(is) coated with something, what I do not know and no one could tel me. All I do know is that the paint (black) did not like it. I think for the next project I'll use Baltic Birch. Not to start a flame war but what is the consension - BB or MDF?

Chris

planet10 said:

Thanks Dave. Now let me ask a question to both you and Scott. Having been bitten by the bug..... What should I build next..... From what I have read it seems the HC is getting a lot of attention or maybe the Full Chang, MLTL, etc. If I was to want a little more bass(LF) what would be your suggestions? Has anyone looked into building the Half Chili, Chili/KimChi Chang or even Iris? What kind of bass(LF) can I expect from the FE167E?

Chris

lol

Attachments

• abby.jpg
    abby.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 357
Chris, you HAVE to stick a knife through your speakers.
seriously. I have the FE207E as well, phase plugs make them sound twice as good.

FT17H super tweeters with 8 ohms and 0.57uF in series, put that lot in parallel with your fe207E.

Some like to tuck a thin strip of low density foam behind the whizzers too, I tried it but it didn't like it.

as for what to try next? do you have corners? a BIB bight be worth a try. or the curvy chang if you want something similar but more refined than the bruce.

OzMikeH said:
Chris, you HAVE to stick a knife through your speakers.
seriously. I have the FE207E as well, phase plugs make them sound twice as good.

I do not think I am ready yet to start cutting on drivers. I have heard that an improvement can be had by grounding the FE207E to the(its) frame. If anyone has any info or link for this let me know.

As for the next build I am looking at the HC or hc (half chili). Anyone favor the FE167E?

Also has anyone built or heard the FE207E in the Fostex recommended cabinet?

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.