S.P.Q.R. EZ10 for the AN Cast 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2008, 06:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default S.P.Q.R. EZ10 for the AN Cast 10

I know, I know, I keep starting new threads. I am evil. Devilishly so! hehe Ok, gotta nother new one. Will be a first I believe. Super easy to build horns for the Audio Nirvana Cast 10. Just threw some base plans together this afternoon. They look like they will perform very well. Sims look great. Very flat response. F3 of around 45-47 Hz. With room gain I am positive of 40 Hz. After all, it is a 40 Hz horn. Corner support will help but won't be remotely crucial. These things will go low anyway. I should have the plans up soon. Here are the teasers and a sim graph.

Tom

(EDIT)

Part 1
Ok, I thought I would add some information about why I designed these. I know many are not super advanced woodworkers or do not have the patience for more complex builds. Dave's Frugal line (designed with simplicity in mind) was sitting in my head as I looked at the Model III and thought, "well, that won't be easy if people don't know what they are doing". So, I decided to begin my EZ line of designs. This thing should be almost so easy it will build itself. Ok, maybe not but it isn't much in the way of parts or skill to assemble.

Part 2
I wanted a small enclosure for this monster of a driver. The an cast 10 is big and will go really low. One problem with really low and a big driver. REALLY FREAKIN BIG CABINET. I made a compromise and decided against a 35 Hz cabinet. So, the cabinet has, more or less a 40 Hz flare rate in a 1/32 scale horn. As it is a compromise design, it will roll t/l action in to compensate the bass down to an f3 of around 45 Hz. All of that being said, I wanted the enclosure small and it is small. I heard talk of an 85 inch BIB for this driver that won't go all that much lower than this horn, so this seemed to me a better solution. Not to mention the immediacy and energy of a horn in the bargain!

Compromise, compromise, compromise. What can you do? I hope everyone enjoys this one as I am really excited about it. I may have to build this next after the model II, instead of the model III.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: gif spqr ez10.gif (36.5 KB, 937 views)
Old 26th February 2008, 06:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The sim graph.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: gif spqrez10sim.gif (6.6 KB, 839 views)
Old 26th February 2008, 07:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Another pin up for your pleasure.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: gif ez10.gif (16.6 KB, 820 views)
Old 26th February 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
Cool! I just might have to build this and the MLTL that scott designed for me!
Old 26th February 2008, 09:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cool. What you have there is basically a variation on the Jensen Imperial cabinet. No bad thing.
Old 26th February 2008, 10:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Cool. What you have there is basically a variation on the Jensen Imperial cabinet. No bad thing.

???? Where can I find this? See Scott, this is what we are talking about when we thank you for your information. You have knowledge of the history that I do not. If you have access to a plan I would be interested to see it. Man, now I feel like I am reinventing the wheel. Ah well, such is life.

Tom
Old 26th February 2008, 10:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

HA! I just found it. Nice. The only real difference is that mine is not a bass only horn. Oh, and mine is not upside down or right side up depending on your point of view. For anyone interested in what Scott is talking about, here is a link. http://www.geocities.com/loudspeaker...n_Imperial.doc

Good, stuff, thanks for the complement Scott. Kinda funny how things are discovered again and again.

Tom

(EDIT)

I was just reading about the Jensen and it mentions that people using full range coaxial or triaxial drivers should flip the horn so the driver is on top. Hehe, my design is very similar. Thanks Scott!

TOm
Old 27th February 2008, 01:14 AM   #8
ejfud is offline ejfud  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder if this would work with the stamped frame AN 10".

Gary
Old 27th February 2008, 02:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ejfud
I wonder if this would work with the stamped frame AN 10".

Gary

In a word, yes. It will work just as well with that as it does with the cast frame version. No worries at all..

Tom
Old 27th February 2008, 02:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

In fact, here is a plot. Looks good. Looks like it may be a touch flatter FR with the super 10. Stronger magnet, lower effeciency. Looks good though.
Attached Images
File Type: gif stamped 10 ez 10.gif (6.6 KB, 757 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!