diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Full ranger and a woofer question (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/117878-full-ranger-woofer-question.html)

audiophile36 21st February 2008 05:14 AM

Full ranger and a woofer question

Is there any problem with running a 12" woofer wide open to an Fostex Fe126e.The woofer will be in a BR box and the Fostex Fe126e will be mounted on top of the woofer box in an open baffle...do I need a crossover?

planet10 21st February 2008 06:51 AM

An XO will be needed to get the most out of them

dave

audiophile36 21st February 2008 06:57 AM

Thank's Dave,

What kind of crossover should I use...I want to keep the Fe126e crossoverless?

hm 21st February 2008 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

look the xmax of the Fostex,
try a closed box and cut 6dB ~300-400 Hz,
i donīt think an OB is a good idea for the 126.

If you take two of them you can build a horn
and you donīt need a bass.

Look my KORNETT

Scottmoose 21st February 2008 09:56 AM

It'll depend on the woofer you select. You should be able to leave the 126 alone & let the woofer handle the LF to an extent, although it's not ideal.

FWIW, I'd do roughly what Martin does on his 2 way OBs; simple 2nd order circuit; high pass the 126 at 500Hz & low pass the woofer at 200Hz, both of which are typically good points to place an XO.

cabbagerat 21st February 2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by audiophile36
Thank's Dave,

What kind of crossover should I use...I want to keep the Fe126e crossoverless?

Have you considered bi-amping? One of my systems is a similar setup (FE167E, though), with 4th order active Linkwitz-Riley crossovers before the amplifiers. Bi-amping is more expensive and complex, but does have many benefits - you should seriously consider going this way.

If you don't want to biamp, then I think hm is right - you should consider putting the fostex in a small sealed box to roll it off, and cross the woofer in at the right frequency. Getting the phase and crossover curves right for such a setup will require some careful design.

Scottmoose 21st February 2008 04:40 PM

It occured to me earlier, why a BR for the woofer? If you don't have the drivers already, I'd probably just go for Martin's 2 way (well, FR + woodfer) OB, or a variation on that. It won't lack for LF output, and the Eminence Alpha 15 isn't a pricey unit.

audiophile36 21st February 2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scottmoose
It occured to me earlier, why a BR for the woofer? If you don't have the drivers already, I'd probably just go for Martin's 2 way (well, FR + woodfer) OB, or a variation on that. It won't lack for LF output, and the Eminence Alpha 15 isn't a pricey unit.
I want to go all OB but don't know how to cut holes larger than 6" because they don't make hole cutters larger than 6". I have a jig saw,but I don't know how to start a cut when trying to cut out a circle.

Scottmoose 21st February 2008 11:06 PM

Wouldn't that affect a 12in woofer in a box too?

I'm about the last person to ask in-re woodwork, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who'll be able to help you out. Make or buy a circular jig for your router would be favourite I imagine.

germpod 21st February 2008 11:11 PM

My driver holes are not perfect, but I just drill a hole on inside of the circle so the jig saw blade can get in and cut from there.