Full ranger and a woofer question - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2008, 01:47 PM   #21
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Bluto,
By looking at these pictured, one would think echo & all that. Great thing is that is not the case & stage is where I like it, slightly back of system plane. Heighth is correct & image is more detailed that any commercial speaker to date I have owned, much better than the ET-8a's I a/b with. Also intresting is I can almost gurantee distortion level of driver is way down with a guide. I would not hesitate to bring these ugly bastards to a diy event . The little Seas driver seems ideal in construction for OB w/ almost no earlly rear reflection points of basket & the way the spider is constructed which is wide open to air space. Coupling point between wood guides & smal baffle is perfect & smooth w/ 3/4" roundover on rear of baffle openings. I also experimented with alighnment of drivers in OB, & conclude it is the only way to go. The only downside percieved so far is your listening sweet spot is fairly small compared to planars & normal OB. Large guide is 12" wide at openeing & small guide is 7" at opening over a 2" FR driver of superb quality. While it is nice to try & run these little fullranger wide open without XO, which I allways try, but distortion levels do go up fast. 22w of DHT into these gets good spl w/ no fatigue. My next OB's for differant room will have multiple 15" & bi-amped, which I usually allways do. & then similar set up for mid & tweeter. I have Steve B. tube active XO PCB to fill & make PS for & will try these next round. Since I run up to 500-600 a bad active XO is a seriouse no-no. I have tried & did not like it at all. Fine for 70hz down but for 70hz up it is not for me. I can hear crappy XO output sections all to easy.
J & G
Old 23rd February 2008, 07:31 PM   #22
ttan98 is online now ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

JandG,

"I also experimented with alighnment of drivers in OB, & conclude it is the only way to go."

how do you align the speakers? can you explain further?

thanks
Old 24th February 2008, 01:05 PM   #23
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Not to scientific way, I just get the drivers acoustically alighned as best I can. I am sure I were to go for perfect someone would smash the theory anyway. But I have em close enough for the testing. Kinda like trying to put a ST way ahead of all other drivers,, doesn't wotk very well IMO. I have tested & is all to audible. Now that I have seen the big bass OB thread, I am thinking way to hard. That is something I need to persue for my larger room & try to implement the little seas into the mix, horn loaded & open back as shown in that thread.
Old 24th February 2008, 11:56 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Don't do that! You can do way better, sonically, which is what it's all about, right?

If you're struggling yourself, I'm sure there'll be somebody of a DIY persuasion nearby who can cut the holes for you, for a couple of his favoured beverages. Or you could grab a local cabinet-maker or similar -they're not going to charge much for cutting a couple of holes & certainly not more than it'd cost to buy a couple of PartsExpress cabinets. As you say you really want to go all OB, it'd be silly to let something as simple as cutting a couple of holes get in your way.
Hello Scott have you listened to the A-N Super 12's in open baffle yet? I remember you stating you haven't found a particular use for the Super 12's in a previous thread.I was thinking of just ordering them and mounting them in some really nice large baffles.
Old 25th February 2008, 07:25 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

No I haven't, and the likelihood of me ever hearing them is about zero, squared. OB is about the only practical use I can think of for them though, unless you have room for a pair of downright gigantic cabinets in your room. I imagine they'd sound pretty decent, run like this, although Q is a bit low, so bass won't be the strongest. Get them in a baffle near the floor & hope that you pick up some room-gain is probably the way forward -in fairness, something similar to the baffle on the CSA site.
Old 25th February 2008, 07:54 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott,
I talked to the guy at CSA about the 291.389 ltr cabinets required for the drivers and he told me the program specs are pretty much worthless...I figure with a qts of 0.487 they seem ok for OB,though he told me he didn't like OB...he also told me that I could get great results with a BR cab with as little as 76 ltrs. I figured out how to cut large holes and added an 8" woofer to my baffles with my Fostex Fe126e...no crossover and they really sound nice.[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Hide this!Advertise here!