Fountek FR88-EX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2008, 05:57 PM   #1
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Fountek FR88-EX

anyone used these?

http://www.bmm-electronics.com/Produ...roduct_ID=6954

Click the image to open in full size.

look good for the money (22ish each)

based on my positive experience with my little Bandor 50mm units, these might be the ticket for a mini monitor, with two each side, maybe with one rolled off as a 0.5 way at the baffle step freq. or crossed high to a small ribbon?

is there promise in these ideas?

these would be for a small room about 11ft by 9ft

just seen this -
fountek fullrange speaker!
but no mention of how it sounds
Old 8th September 2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default resurrecting old thread...

Anybody got any real-world listening tests on this driver and even better if compared to some other similar drivers that are more popular to put it's performance into perspective ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 9th September 2009, 05:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Anybody got any real-world listening tests on this driver and even better if compared to some other similar drivers that are more popular to put it's performance into perspective ?
They were measured by John K. and posted on his site, zaphaudio.com. He was very impressed with their performance calling it the best 3" driver he's encountered. Surprisingly, the SPL is fairly good for such a small driver.

The drivers Zaph tested are owned by augerpro (HTGuide and Tech-Talk) and he's promising a follow-up to his Bose Buster design using these...but nothing yet.

It looks to have excellent promise and would be tempting to be teamed with the Fountek FW165.

I think they could be very satisfying in such a small space. But I will once again plug the CHR70. It's a driver that inexpensive and is able to do sub-50Hz AND 20K. I love mine.
Old 9th September 2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Luke352 is offline Luke352  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Luke352
Search here www.diymobileaudio.com quite a few a few guys using them, they are actually built and designed by these guys http://www.hustleraudio.com/wide-band-drivers.html the Fountek FR88ex is basically a cheaper more basic version of the Trinity x3. If you want to see more specs go to the H Audio US website http://www.haudioincus.com/Specifica...-Downloads.php
Old 9th January 2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A variation/update on this driver:

FR89EX - Fountek 3" full range aluminum basket - EUROPE AUDIO

with more Xmax and a ceramic motor system it appears. Looks interesting, but I can't find any more data on it yet.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, guys,

I use the FR-88EX in a 1 liter cealed box with a high pass filter as pc-speaker. Support comes from a small subwoofer with a Tangband W5-876SA in BR.

In direct comparison with Vifa TC9-FD-18-08 and Visaton FRS8 i prefer the Fountek/Dynavox. It's well buildt and sounds clear and detailed. For the price i can recommend everybody to give it a try.

Greetings,
klemminger
Old 30th September 2010, 05:41 AM   #7
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Is it feasible for the FR89ex to have a frequency response of 70-20khz when the Fs is 97khz?
Old 30th September 2010, 01:37 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by type View Post
Is it feasible for the FR89ex to have a frequency response of 70-20khz when the Fs is 97khz?
if you mean effective, real word, in-room - that would depend on the enclosure, and the desired SP levels - but in a word: "possibly"
Old 30th September 2010, 03:05 PM   #9
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
if you mean effective, real word, in-room - that would depend on the enclosure, and the desired SP levels - but in a word: "possibly"

Fountek is listing a frequency response that's way lower than the driver appears to be hitting. So based on their specs, 70hz is what you can hope to squeeze out of it in the right box, in the right room.

In this case, if comparing it to other drivers, the FR89ex has a free air res of 97hz - is that right?
Old 23rd December 2010, 02:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Anyone used the new version (FR89 EX)? They look excellent on paper and great value too. But some say they need a tweet, whereas the older FR88 seems ok.. maybe down to the coating on the cone perhaps.

Hide this!Advertise here!