DX45 or 55 in a backloaded horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2008, 10:17 PM   #1
mikw st is offline mikw st  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default DX45 or 55 in a backloaded horn

Hi, could anyone with experience of the Lowther DX45 or 55 comment on it's suitability for use in a Acousta 115 cab with reduced back chamber volume?

I'm currently using the Fostex FE168ez in the Acoustas with about half the back chamber taken up by blocks (the front baffle has been replaced with one to suit the 168 so is now 40mm thick). It sounds great with the 168s but I want to take it one step further with the Lowther drivers. If the 6" DX drivers are not suitable then I'll go for the DX3 8" drivers instead. I mainly listen to simple small scale music (mainly female vocal indie/folk) so I'm not bothered by a lack of low bass, I was using the 168s in a BR cab with very little bass for quite some time before the acoustas came along.

Is there a chance of damaging the 6" Lowthers by exceeding their max excursion in the acoustas, my amp is only a 1.5watt set amplifier so I guess I'll be OK with this?

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 18th February 2008, 09:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default 5" lowthers in Acousta

Sorry Mike, not a good combination. You have to deal with the compression chamber size, and also the horn mouth and the initial expansion being significantly different for the 5" drivers than the 8". Then the 5" drives have a rising hi-end response that requires an equalization circuit to calm down.

In a proper enclosure, like the Alerion, the DX55 is a stunning driver. But throwing it into an Acoustic cabinet is not the right way to go.

Jon Ver Halen
Lowther America

Hide this!Advertise here!