Port question, round vs rectangular

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kvk said:
If a port is spec in a raound, dia x len, is there a conversion to rectangular?

Intuitively, I'd guess to keep area and length the same but my guess is that you might need also change area a tad, maybe like up it a few %.

You're on the right track, so to speak. Just compare area to area, all you need to know is the diameter of the port to calculate it's area. Just keep the length the same for either.

Jeff

Alright, let's muddy the water.

Keep the area the same put flares on the ends of the port. Do you measure the length the beginnings or ends of the flares or somewhere in between?

My guess would be about 1/2 in between the beginning and end of the flares but that's just intuition. I'm the noob here.
:rolleyes:

kvk said:
My guess would be about 1/2 in between the beginning and end of the flares but that's just intuition. I'm the noob here.
:rolleyes:

I can't give you a definitive answer, but there is an "end correction" function which deals with this issue when modeling boxes. Obviously, the correction factor will grow as the port gets larger, but I don't know how to calculate an exact number.

What you suggest makes sense, as long as you are dealing with only one (1) vent.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.