BSC for Fostex FE127E Metronome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Metronomes made their public debut last week and were very well received. I was reviewing the plans when I noticed the Suggested Baffle-Step Compensation Starting Points.

Should I use the BSC for the FE126E, or are there different values I should use for the FE127E?

Also, do I need the Zobel too? If so, what values should I use?

BSC circuit value is determined by Baffle width and driver impedance. So if the drivers are the same impedance and baffles are the same width the circuit should be the same for both. People have had luck using no Zobel with the FE167E. Try with just a BSC and listen. If the highs are too much for your liking then add a Zobel.

1.5mH in parallel with a 6ohm resistor seems to be a common starting point for FE167E in most applications. However I noticed their suggested values are different. It depends how many dB of correction you want. Here is a calculator speadsheet:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Calculator.xls

Usually 6dB is the most you would want. As that is the "open space" measurement. Bipolar designs don't need BSC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.