giant BIB audio nirvana super 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
90" x 11-1/4" x 18-3/4" deep

Attachments

• bib !!! 004.jpg
    bib !!! 004.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,582
bib super 8

this speaker is good to 19K hz or 20K.... it's anough for me.
cristaline high... no sub no filter no tweeter
at this price, audio nirvana super 8 is fabulous. Great sound.

my dream : Supravox or Fertin but .... a lot of $$$ for just little bit more I think.:hbeat:

If it was any bigger you'd have to stand on chair to listen or fold the top over so it fits in the room. :D

Painted the same colour as the wall it would have a higher WAF than many smaller boxes.
There is certainly no possibility of china dolls or doilies on top with this design. She would only try once. <THUNK> <tinkle>.

I like it. Nice job.

Well, they look great and I'd love to get an idea of the bass response vs. my 166 BiBs.I've wondered about the possibility of dropping the high point of the baffle 6-8" and adding a K-slot to the back of "Bigger" BiBs to lower the driver. The driver position for my 72" cabs is pushing it a bit as is...

Oh and 18K? Fine here as my latest test tone adventures tell me my OEM equipment is only good to 15K. My 15 Y/O daughter assures me that the higher frequency tracks were indeed audible :)

7/10

super nirvana 8 in the Chang cabinet?

anyone know, or Scottmoose?

I am biased to Chang cabinet... I am intrigued by Super nirvana 8 (in part due to sensitivity without needing a separate tweeter, in contrast to Pioneer 8") for use in possible double vent cabinet. Like the Nirvana style better than the FE207E

Any of the cabinet designs in the spawn page appropriate?

thanks in advance.

gyCHANG

It'll go into your existing boxes, but with ~4ohms of series resistance, which will lower their efficiency. I mentioned it in your build thread actually, though it got lost amongst everything else, as often happens in longer threads: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1286999#post1286999 They'll also go in Sachiko, though they won't have as much LF gain as the 206 I designed it for due to their much higher Vas.

Problem with the AN drivers, IMO, is that although good, they aren't as good as the Fostex equivalents, and they really aren't much cheaper either. That's why I've never bothered coming up with any dedicated cabinets for them. The interesting ones in the AN range to me are those that have no equivalent from anyone else -the cast-frame models, and the 10in driver. I've yet to figure out a use for the 12in driver -it needs such a gigantic cabinet for decent performance (~20 cubic foot) that it seems a bit pointless.

Hope you're still enjoying your existing cabinets BTW?

FWIW, if you're after greater efficiency / detail etc., easiest way forward would be to swap out the Pioneers for a pair of P10 FE207eNs. As you like the AN style, you could get a pair with black coloured cones, plugs etc.

Great looking cabs Nirvana!!!

I had an idea while looking at your cabs, first I thought if they were flipped upside down the driver height would be a little lower, then I discovered that by the time a stand was made to lift the cabs up off the floor it would end up being the same height anyway:xeye:

So then I thought, if a person knew the listening position they'd be sitting at you could make a wedge baffle, so that the drivers would be angled down a few degrees and focus more toward the ears at the listening position instead of up and over in stock form.. Maybe this could help compensate for the high driver position on the bigger BIB cabs?? What do you guys think??? Dave:)

Scottmoose said:
They'll also go in Sachiko, though they won't have as much LF gain as the 206 I designed it for due to their much higher Vas.

Problem with the AN drivers, IMO, is that although good, they aren't as good as the Fostex equivalents

FWIW, if you're after greater efficiency / detail etc., easiest way forward would be to swap out the Pioneers for a pair of P10 FE207eNs. As you like the AN style, you could get a pair with black coloured cones, plugs etc.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like Audio Nirvana speakers are out. You are referring to FE207E that has been souped up by Dave??, plugs and Enabled?

We have moved to much larger house and now settled in. I listened to my Chang cabinet every night, play Flac files, little bit of addiction...

With my amp32 (t-amp) clone, it is clear, full sound, satisfying extended bass, all important midrange is fantastic. Tweeter adds ideal amount of sparkle. The cabinet appearance is fantastic IMHO, design inspired by experts here (u know who u r), and my clumsy woodworking with a router and circular saw looks more than satisfying.

When I want to let it all "hang out", i.e. play loud, I get clipping, particularly with fast transients. To achieve true audio nirvana (pun not intended), I am thinking about higher rated amp, more likely I will build another Chang cabinet with the FE207E, will see.

Hope enjoy the pictures.

gychang

gychang said:
Looks like Audio Nirvana speakers are out. You are referring to FE207E that has been souped up by Dave??, plugs and Enabled?

When I want to let it all "hang out", i.e. play loud, I get clipping, particularly with fast transients. To achieve true audio nirvana (pun not intended), I am thinking about higher rated amp, more likely I will build another Chang cabinet with the FE207E, will see.

Nice shots. :) Glad you're still enjoying them.

Yes, the drivers are modified to such an extent over the original base units they get the new name. A quantum leap forward over the B20 (good though it is for the money) & a goodly amount of extra sensitivity too.

DaveCan said:
Great looking cabs Nirvana!!!

.......so that the drivers would be angled down a few degrees........

Indeed!

I periodically mention my preference to having the 'fullrange' drivers, mid/HF horns above my head a bit and angled down as it reduces early reflection energy and gives me a presentation more like I get at a live venue.........

GM

>>> thank you Zillaspeak.com !!!!!

Anytime Nirvana. Enjoy your speakers!

Gychang - looking good too! Nice room. I am also interested in the 207 lately. Chang, Half Chang or even simply in a large ported box. There is a recent thread on optimizing a tweeter/crossover possibly using the $36 tweeter. I will follow with interest because i think this would be an amazing combination especially in a good box... maybe the ultimate compromise using a full range driver.

>>> Problem with the AN drivers, IMO, is that although good, they aren't as good as the Fostex equivalents, and they really aren't much cheaper either.

Hi Scottmoose! I never heard the AN drivers but i bet they are not half bad based on spec, looks and purpose for which they are built. May not be as good as Fostex (not much is!) but probably just a varying degree of 'good.' I don't own them but respect the folks who want to save a few $$$, have some full range fun and save a few bucks in the process.

Lately, i have been enjoying my new iTouch wifey got me as a present. Great sound and so many hotspots in NY that i only occasionally cannot get onto the web - and read thru this forum! Also, the iTouch sounds better connected to my stereo than my laptop. I am pleased with it as another way to enjoy great sound.

Scottmoose said:
It'll go into your existing boxes, but with ~4ohms of series resistance, which will lower their efficiency. I mentioned it in your build thread actually, though it got lost amongst everything else, as often happens in longer threads: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1286999#post1286999 They'll also go in Sachiko, though they won't have as much LF gain as the 206 I designed it for due to their much higher Vas.

Problem with the AN drivers, IMO, is that although good, they aren't as good as the Fostex equivalents, and they really aren't much cheaper either. That's why I've never bothered coming up with any dedicated cabinets for them. The interesting ones in the AN range to me are those that have no equivalent from anyone else -the cast-frame models, and the 10in driver. I've yet to figure out a use for the 12in driver -it needs such a gigantic cabinet for decent performance (~20 cubic foot) that it seems a bit pointless.

what kind of cabinet would the AN Cast 10 excel in?

Re: Re: giant BIB audio nirvana super 8

despotic931 said:
what kind of cabinet would the AN Cast 10 excel in?

On a very quick look at the specs, a decent BR or BVR would appear to be a good choice. It'd actually squeeze into Chang, though ideally it would prefer a larger volume to improve LF gain, and a few tweaks to kill the unwanted resonance at 575Hz, as you can see:

Nelson Pass said:
Very excellent.

Agreed. I want a couple. :)

Attachments

• chang an10cf.gif
    chang an10cf.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 695
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.