Fostex Shoutiness and congestion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Secips is offline Secips  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

I don't know if this has been discussed before and I don't know how to search for it. So.....

Listening to my FE167e. I got the impression that the shoutiness is like a discharge of sorts. Maybe some kind of buildup. I read some mods on grounding the frame to the speaker ground. So I performed the mod and it SEEMS to reduced the shoutiness. I also noted that I could the congestion is somehow relieved. So I started pumping up the volume until that speakers were maxxing, listened to a few selections. I didn't run out of the room but after a few selections my ears were ringing. So I backed off. Any other similar experiences?
Old 1st February 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Sounds like you need a baffle step correction filter. A shouty driver is a classic sign of a rising SPL response that can be rebalanced with a filter.
Old 1st February 2008, 12:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

?

The FE167E is one of the least shouty of the Fostex drivers. How have you implemented it?

Bob
Old 1st February 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I might be describing it incorrectly. I listen some more.

MJK,

I'll try a BSC. Thanks

Bob Brines,

This is the only Fostex I have, In fact, the only FR driver I got . Its running off a SS amp, Belles 150A.
Old 1st February 2008, 03:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The shoutiness, I'm describing is definitely something else, preamp tubes? I'll have to trace it down. The congestion though is definitely reduced.
Old 3rd February 2008, 01:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think what Bob meant, and a very good question is: what is the enclosure you have the 167 in ?

Gastón
Old 3rd February 2008, 03:15 AM   #7
kaan is offline kaan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kaan
Default Re: Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

Quote:
Originally posted by Secips
I don't know if this has been discussed before and I don't know how to search for it. So.....

If you look at the top of the page to the right you see 6 buttons.
One of them is labeled "search".
From there its pretty much like any other search engine.

Good luck hunting for a solution
Old 4th February 2008, 10:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

Quote:
Originally posted by kaan

If you look at the top of the page to the right you see 6 buttons.
One of them is labeled "search".
From there its pretty much like any other search engine.

Good luck hunting for a solution

YOU'RE LUCKY! I'm in a good mood! My team won the Superbowl. I really don't have any sense of humour .
Old 4th February 2008, 11:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghpicard
I think what Bob meant, and a very good question is: what is the enclosure you have the 167 in ?

Gastón
I thought that the Fostex was like that in any box they but it in. But, in any case here is a link to the box.

Making Chili

I've been slowly tweaking the design. Hence, my question and search. But, if anyone is interested in the way it sounds then look at the final port FR you'll notice a decreasing slope as it approaches the high frequencies. What I believe this does is it reinforces the imaging such that you hear a REAL piano in YOUR listening room NOT the acoustics from the recording studio. SO YOU HAVE SOMEONE PLAYING IN YOUR ROOM! Most instruments don't get any higher than 3.5K. Everything on top of that is all harmonics and acoustics. So what you get is the FR of just the instrument not the recording.

You should build one maybe add your own flavor. It definitely needs to be developed. It is an open source design, I'd love to keep it that way. I cannot RIGHTFULLY claim ownership of the design as it was variation of an existing design by Scottmoose. Although, my redesign has taken it to a different route. Furthermore, my inspiration was taken from the PAWO, designed by Tom Zurowski. Along with all the innumerable ideas that Planet10 puts forth on this site. Let alone his support of the Frugel-horn site that honors Terry Cain, whose contributions to the development of the fullrange speakers we are all enjoying. I could only aspire that it may follow the Frugel-horn as it was developed by an allstar team. Hopefully, if everyone pitches in we can develop something truly DIY. I am not a member of the audio establishment so I have the luxury of using this design to what is important to me, MUSIC our common bound. Lets work together in our little corner of the world. If by a longshot we do develop something commercial viable then whoever uses it contribute to sites like DIYAUDIO or Frugel-Horn that makes this possible.
Old 4th February 2008, 12:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If you want to take your Fostex to the next level, try Dave's phase plugs and Bud's EnABL pattern. These two mods did wonders for my 208S. My Refining the Replikon page contains some pictures and measurements.

Hide this!Advertise here!