Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if this has been discussed before and I don't know how to search for it. So.....

Listening to my FE167e. I got the impression that the shoutiness is like a discharge of sorts. Maybe some kind of buildup. I read some mods on grounding the frame to the speaker ground. So I performed the mod and it SEEMS to reduced the shoutiness. I also noted that I could the congestion is somehow relieved. So I started pumping up the volume until that speakers were maxxing, listened to a few selections. I didn't run out of the room but after a few selections my ears were ringing. So I backed off. Any other similar experiences?

Re: Re: Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

kaan said:

If you look at the top of the page to the right you see 6 buttons.
One of them is labeled "search".
From there its pretty much like any other search engine.

Good luck hunting for a solution :)

YOU'RE LUCKY! I'm in a good mood! My team won the Superbowl. I really don't have any sense of humour :).

ghpicard said:
I think what Bob meant, and a very good question is: what is the enclosure you have the 167 in ?

Gastón

I thought that the Fostex was like that in any box they but it in. But, in any case here is a link to the box.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113525

I've been slowly tweaking the design. Hence, my question and search. But, if anyone is interested in the way it sounds then look at the final port FR you'll notice a decreasing slope as it approaches the high frequencies. What I believe this does is it reinforces the imaging such that you hear a REAL piano in YOUR listening room NOT the acoustics from the recording studio. SO YOU HAVE SOMEONE PLAYING IN YOUR ROOM! Most instruments don't get any higher than 3.5K. Everything on top of that is all harmonics and acoustics. So what you get is the FR of just the instrument not the recording.

You should build one maybe add your own flavor. It definitely needs to be developed. It is an open source design, I'd love to keep it that way. I cannot RIGHTFULLY claim ownership of the design as it was variation of an existing design by Scottmoose. Although, my redesign has taken it to a different route. Furthermore, my inspiration was taken from the PAWO, designed by Tom Zurowski. Along with all the innumerable ideas that Planet10 puts forth on this site. Let alone his support of the Frugel-horn site that honors Terry Cain, whose contributions to the development of the fullrange speakers we are all enjoying. I could only aspire that it may follow the Frugel-horn as it was developed by an allstar team. Hopefully, if everyone pitches in we can develop something truly DIY. I am not a member of the audio establishment so I have the luxury of using this design to what is important to me, MUSIC our common bound. Lets work together in our little corner of the world. If by a longshot we do develop something commercial viable then whoever uses it contribute to sites like DIYAUDIO or Frugel-Horn that makes this possible.

Re: Re: Re: Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

Secips said:

YOU'RE LUCKY! I'm in a good mood! My team won the Superbowl. I really don't have any sense of humour :).

Hey, I'm just trying to be helpfull.
I design user interfaces for a living and I know for a fact that a simple task like finding a specific function can trouble many. Thus I gave you a pointer.
I really tried to be polite and respectfull. If I failed at that I'm sorry. If you have any questions about the search feature of this site then don't hesitate to ask.

Secips said:

I thought that the Fostex was like that in any box they but it in. But, in any case here is a link to the box.

Right. A QB3 box made as narrow as possible. This gives you an f3 somewhere around 60Hz which means that there is no deep bass at all. The narrow box exacerbates the baffle step loss which means that everything below 300-500Hz is reduced 4-6dB. The result is a shouty, in-your-face sound.

You desperately need a BSC filter. For a first cut, try 1.5mH||6ohms. Play with the resistor until you get the sound you want.

BTW, if you would like to confirm this analysis, push the speakers back against the wall. The baffle step will go away (almost, but that's another story).

Bob

Scottmoose said:
That's why the waveguide has to be very carefully designed. I know my originals look simple, but they're not randomly sized or put together. That's not meant to sound negative -it's great people are experimenting. :) It's more an observation that you have to be careful,

High Scott!
So what you says is, move driver and you got a different output of the port/less mids coming out?

The bends are what kills the mids and highs. Since the port is not aim directly at the listening position the summed FR of port and speaker do not really have a bump. The sound from the port is perceived as ambient and reverberant sound. As I explained earlier it sounds like you have someone playing in your room.

I tracked down the offending party of what I mistakenly described as shoutiness it was a preamp tube that needed a replacement.

If someone wants a listen, email me.

peterbrorsson said:

High Scott!
So what you says is, move driver and you got a different output of the port/less mids coming out?

Oops!! It should have been "Hi Scott"! Now that I look at the sentence, it looks quite ironical.:clown: That was not my purpose even if I'm still curious about your post as below

Originally posted by Scottmoose
That's why the waveguide has to be very carefully designed. I know my originals look simple, but they're not randomly sized or put together. That's not meant to sound negative -it's great people are experimenting. It's more an observation that you have to be careful,

Cheers,
Peter

Secips said:
The bends are what kills the mids and highs. Since the port is not aim directly at the listening position the summed FR of port and speaker do not really have a bump. The sound from the port is perceived as ambient and reverberant sound. As I explained earlier it sounds like you have someone playing in your room.

I tracked down the offending party of what I mistakenly described as shoutiness it was a preamp tube that needed a replacement.

If someone wants a listen, email me.

Hi Secips!
Good that you found the reason but the reverbant sound you describe does not fit good sound IMHO. I have also problem to describe sound via text, could be a misunderstanding from my side.

Anyway, enjoy your speakers if you're satisfied with them!:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.