Sonic Impact amp + iPod + BIB = Cheap Fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm. Well, IIRC, the FT1600 is 10.5in wide, which puts the -3db step-point at roughly 434Hz. So either everything above that requires cutting, or everything below that needs boosting.

A potential problem with active EQ to keep in mind is that if you're using it to increase relative LF gain, then you're forcing the driver to work harder, right at the point where it's already having to working at its hardest, and this problem will only get worse the higher you crank the volume. The 167 is a lovely driver -I run a pair in my own MLTLs (very similar to Bob's) but massive LF is not what it does, so you might be expecting a bit much. Even so, they can go to remarkable SPLs on some heavy material, even in a big room, as we discovered last September at one of our periodic audio-meets. 167 MLTL doesn't have the LF bloom & overhang many cabinets can suffer from, which can initially give the impression that they're lacking LF. They're not -they're just more accurate than a lot, but that can take a while to get used to.

Scottmoose said:
Hmm. Well, IIRC, the FT1600 is 10.5in wide, which puts the -3db step-point at roughly 434Hz. So either everything above that requires cutting, or everything below that needs boosting.

A potential problem with active EQ to keep in mind is that if you're using it to increase relative LF gain, then you're forcing the driver to work harder, right at the point where it's already having to working at its hardest, and this problem will only get worse the higher you crank the volume. The 167 is a lovely driver -I run a pair in my own MLTLs (very similar to Bob's) but massive LF is not what it does, so you might be expecting a bit much. Even so, they can go to remarkable SPLs on some heavy material, even in a big room, as we discovered last September at one of our periodic audio-meets. 167 MLTL doesn't have the LF bloom & overhang many cabinets can suffer from, which can initially give the impression that they're lacking LF. They're not -they're just more accurate than a lot, but that can take a while to get used to.

Understood, thanks,

I am driving it from a T-amp I don't think I can overload the bass end.
Cabinet is underpadded, under-reinforcement at the moment. Both need upgrading.

ttan98 said:

Understood, thanks,

I am driving it from a T-amp I don't think I can overload the bass end.

I have spent 5 years tweaking the FT-1600 design. Everything about it has a purpose. Now if you don't like the sound of my design, so be it. I can handle the rejection. But please: build the darn thing exactly as the instructions direct. Then you can tell me what I did wrong.

Scott is entirely correct about fake big bass and the real sound that is on a recording. So many subwoofers are sold with a 3-6dB peak at 30Hz that this becomes the expected sound. While the FT-1600 won't give you huge SPL at the botom end, what it gives you is honest.

Bob

>>> 300MB or so per album, 16GB goes way too fast.

Agreed, it does!

I have mp3@320 and 312 songs take up 2.24 GB. I have a difficult time hearing a difference even on my main system at 320 tho i know i am missing music. Regardless, i enjoy anyway. As for the earbuds (headphones that come with the iTouch) they are also enjoyable even tho they sound all crispy and congested in the treble. Whenever they sound bad i just remind myself they are cheap headphones. But the iTouch connected to a very good system can sound really great and the convenience is just fantastic. I wish it had more space but next years version should be bigger... maybe not enough for lossless but certainly more.

Bob Brines said:

I have spent 5 years tweaking the FT-1600 design. Everything about it has a purpose. Now if you don't like the sound of my design, so be it. I can handle the rejection. But please: build the darn thing exactly as the instructions direct. Then you can tell me what I did wrong.

Scott is entirely correct about fake big bass and the real sound that is on a recording. So many subwoofers are sold with a 3-6dB peak at 30Hz that this becomes the expected sound. While the FT-1600 won't give you huge SPL at the botom end, what it gives you is honest.

Bob

Bob,

Don't get so personal, I am not saying I don't like the sound. You must remember everyone is different, eventhough you may have "perfected" the sound everyone could hear something different. Everyone has the right to tweak his speakers according to his own taste.

remember "perfect" to you may be mean different to other users. Just as car owners of BMW, etc, some of them still tweak them. the is does mean BMW is not "perfect"

I build amp before, some of my users still tweak them I don't mind.

If I give you the impression I don't like it then you got it the wrong way.

ttan98 said:

Bob,

The misunderstand may be due to this line, the cabinet I mean the one which I have which NOT in accordance to your paper spec. You see I cannot get the lining material you mention in your paper, furthermore I have not reinforced the cabinet similar to your spec. At the end of the day I don't expect the bass to sound like the bass I can obtain from a normal 2 or 3 way speakers.

Having said that tweaking is something which audiophiles do. I hope you understand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.