Full Range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most midrange drivers are very limited in thir ability to handle any bass and produce very little if any HF. While many here do use "fullrange" drivers in association with a bass or high frequency driver or both, fullrange drivers like the Jordan JX92, Visaton B200, etc. cant be lumped with midranges like the Seas 10/12cm mids, ScanSpeak 12Mxxxx, Focal 5xnnn, etc.

Given the limitaions most fullranges have "Widerange" might be a more sutiable term.

So if you guys were to pick the best 'Wide Range' driver for use between 120 and 5K what would you use?

It would be electronically high passed and used on open baffle. High sensitivity, high output and 'speed' with lack of coloration are important to me.

The Eminence Lil' Buddy Hemp cone (about 100 db sensitive) 10 is good but gets in trouble around 2K.. but has a very nice vivid 3D sound. Something like that or better with a bit more extension on top without major breakup?

Hemp Cone

Magnetar said:
So if you guys were to pick the best 'Wide Range' driver for use between 120 and 5K what would you use?

I'm sure that it all depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Do you mean the best performer, period? Or Do you mean the best performer for the money? Or do you mean the least expensive? There is a huge difference there.

John L said:

I'm sure that it all depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Do you mean the best performer, period? Or Do you mean the best performer for the money? Or do you mean the least expensive? There is a huge difference there.

OK - the best available that has high QTS (for use on a baffle) no rising response, 100 db sensitivity and can handle some power with little to no coloration,

http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/omnesaudio/omnesaudioL8.html

i used them on a relatively small baffle, about 18" tapered to 14" at the top, around 32" tall, i actually had the 'Spec' version that i found had a little too much treble, and i have been meaning to try the normal version that i suspect will be just right.
it had brilliant mid-range imo, voices were very 3d, obviously needed some bass support, but i miss them now, and the normal versions are on my 'wish list' :)

inrank said:
http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/omnesaudio/omnesaudioL8.html

i used them on a relatively small baffle, about 18" tapered to 14" at the top, around 32" tall, i actually had the 'Spec' version that i found had a little too much treble, and i have been meaning to try the normal version that i suspect will be just right.
it had brilliant mid-range imo, voices were very 3d, obviously needed some bass support, but i miss them now, and the normal versions are on my 'wish list' :)

Thanks!

Looks like they are made in Canada! Can I buy them in the USA?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Omnes sensitivity is probably optimistic... to get that high efficiency one would likely need an 8" or larger, which probably limits you to Fertin or Supravox. A new contender would probably be the 9" Feastrex, but it may not like an OB, you need seriously deep pockets, and it would probably be a waste restricting it to such a narrow band. As well it would be very challenging to find woofer & tweeter that would mate with it.

Relaxing things a bit further efficiency wize to bring the price down to what mere mortals can afford, the Visaton B200 with phase plugs is a good candidtae. A 5k XO is pretty low thou.

dave

sumacSK said:

Those look very sweet. Very close to what I seek!

Caferacer said:
I wonder how the lil' buddy would do if you removed the dust cap and got phase plugs.

I was thinking that myself! The dust cap is "Zurette" what ever that means??? Maybe it's there to cause the peak for guitar? I think I'll carefully cut one out and see. :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.