diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Full Range? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/116442-full-range.html)

Magnetar 30th January 2008 01:53 AM

Full Range?

Shouldn't this forum be called Mid Range? ;) I mean thats what's important right? No crossover, one driver focused on the midrange ect.....

navin 30th January 2008 03:42 AM

Most midrange drivers are very limited in thir ability to handle any bass and produce very little if any HF. While many here do use "fullrange" drivers in association with a bass or high frequency driver or both, fullrange drivers like the Jordan JX92, Visaton B200, etc. cant be lumped with midranges like the Seas 10/12cm mids, ScanSpeak 12Mxxxx, Focal 5xnnn, etc.

Given the limitaions most fullranges have "Widerange" might be a more sutiable term.

planet10 30th January 2008 03:55 AM

Yep. If a system can't do mids it ain't worth ....

dave

Magnetar 30th January 2008 11:32 AM

So if you guys were to pick the best 'Wide Range' driver for use between 120 and 5K what would you use?

It would be electronically high passed and used on open baffle. High sensitivity, high output and 'speed' with lack of coloration are important to me.

The Eminence Lil' Buddy Hemp cone (about 100 db sensitive) 10 is good but gets in trouble around 2K.. but has a very nice vivid 3D sound. Something like that or better with a bit more extension on top without major breakup?

Hemp Cone

John L 30th January 2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Magnetar
So if you guys were to pick the best 'Wide Range' driver for use between 120 and 5K what would you use?

I'm sure that it all depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Do you mean the best performer, period? Or Do you mean the best performer for the money? Or do you mean the least expensive? There is a huge difference there.

Magnetar 30th January 2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by John L

I'm sure that it all depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Do you mean the best performer, period? Or Do you mean the best performer for the money? Or do you mean the least expensive? There is a huge difference there.

OK - the best available that has high QTS (for use on a baffle) no rising response, 100 db sensitivity and can handle some power with little to no coloration,

John L 30th January 2008 12:03 PM

What size?

Magnetar 30th January 2008 12:07 PM

six to ten inch, can't imagine one smaller having the efficiency or one larger not beaming badly.

John L 30th January 2008 12:13 PM

Been looking hard and can't find any with 100db sensitivity. Even the Feastrex are in the 95-96db range. You may have to settle for a 12" with built in coax compression drivers.

Maybe Dan or Moose can help out here.

inrank 30th January 2008 12:17 PM

omnes audio L8, only 95dB though, high qts, linear response, sorted ;)