Lovington Horn SH.1 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Lovington Horn SH.1

Hi!
Does somebody know this horn hybrid?
http://www.lovingtonhorn.co.uk/pages/specsheet.html

Quote:
This single horn loudspeaker is a hybrid design, one of great simplicity, combining a full range 4" driver, housed in a reflex enclosure, rear porting into a truncated bass horn. By using this approach, alongside the particular construction of the bass horn enclosure, the loudspeaker produces seamless integration from detailed, open treble, superb mid range and for a horn, astonishing deep natural bass. We believe that these combined qualities are truly unusual in a domestic horn loudspeaker of this size.
As I understand it is similar to the old Fostex recommended enclosure for FE127E BLH-BR, it isn't it?
I cann't see well on the pictures where is the BR port and the horn mouth.....
Has it a port fired into the horn section like the Fostex or what?

Tyimo
Old 29th January 2008, 05:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

AFAIK these are trad. hybrid QW horns, no reflex section. HFW magazine reviewed them a few months back IIRC.
Old 29th January 2008, 07:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
rear porting into a truncated bass horn
I thought it has a BR port (vent) what opened into the horn section, like Fostex.
If, not than should I understand it is similar to a BVR? I mean the BR chamber tuned with the horn section?

Quote:
Traditionally, horn loudspeakers utilize high pressure/low velocity at the throat and low pressure/high velocity at the mouth. In our design, we also use high pressure/low velocity at the port (throat). However, we break with tradition by loading the driver a second time at the mouth producing greater speed in the reproduction of the bass.
What does it mean: "loading the driver a second time at the mouth producing greater speed in the reproduction of the bass"?
It has small mouth area??

Tyimo
Old 29th January 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I could be wrong then & it's similar to the Factory 126 box.

I imagine they're implying that the short distance from the vent to the terminus will reduce the time-delay. Given that it's LF frequencies, and the delay isn't in reality very much, I can't honestly see it having much of an effect in that respect.
Old 29th January 2008, 09:19 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, sounds like a mass loaded BLH to me, i.e. BR vent at the horn's mouth to increase its LF gain BW and smooth its response somewhat........... I mean its terminus is way too small to be much of a horn, but plenty large to be a low Q vent.

GM
Old 29th January 2008, 09:34 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like the designer was influenced by the space-suited good aliens in The Fifth Element.

dave
Old 29th January 2008, 10:03 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

priced at only 3250 British lbs, these give the 4300 Euro Gemme Vivace's a run for the money in the "how freakin much for a 4in driver" sweepstakes

For my taste a more elegant wife friendly enclosure on the Gemme's and of course, since is has to cost more to "defy the laws of physics"* they're obviously a bargain.

*quote from their website

http://66.130.192.248:9081/gemmeAudi...%2010Jul07.pdf
Old 30th January 2008, 01:18 AM   #8
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Never BS a BSer.
The baffle has some obvious diffraction issues. But at least it looks like it has enough area? Dont know about the high mounted mouth.

As far as Gimme audio, gimme a break.

ron
Old 30th January 2008, 08:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I mean its terminus is way too small to be much of a horn, but plenty large to be a low Q vent.
I saw on the SH.1 picture an opening near to the floor and maybe there is something right under the driver?? Looks like a half circle...

Tyimo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf4312.jpg (40.5 KB, 267 views)
Old 30th January 2008, 08:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For my taste a more elegant wife friendly enclosure on the Gemme's and of course, since is has to cost more to "defy the laws of physics"* they're obviously a bargain.
Chrisb! Please don't come with those mysterious Gemme's loudspeakers until that we don't understand how theirs Vflex technology works......

Tyimo

Hide this!Advertise here!