Lovington Horn SH.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
Does somebody know this horn hybrid?
http://www.lovingtonhorn.co.uk/pages/specsheet.html

This single horn loudspeaker is a hybrid design, one of great simplicity, combining a full range 4" driver, housed in a reflex enclosure, rear porting into a truncated bass horn. By using this approach, alongside the particular construction of the bass horn enclosure, the loudspeaker produces seamless integration from detailed, open treble, superb mid range and for a horn, astonishing deep natural bass. We believe that these combined qualities are truly unusual in a domestic horn loudspeaker of this size.

As I understand it is similar to the old Fostex recommended enclosure for FE127E BLH-BR, it isn't it?
I cann't see well on the pictures where is the BR port and the horn mouth.....
Has it a port fired into the horn section like the Fostex or what?

Tyimo

rear porting into a truncated bass horn

I thought it has a BR port (vent) what opened into the horn section, like Fostex.
If, not than should I understand it is similar to a BVR? I mean the BR chamber tuned with the horn section?

Traditionally, horn loudspeakers utilize high pressure/low velocity at the throat and low pressure/high velocity at the mouth. In our design, we also use high pressure/low velocity at the port (throat). However, we break with tradition by loading the driver a second time at the mouth producing greater speed in the reproduction of the bass.

What does it mean: "loading the driver a second time at the mouth producing greater speed in the reproduction of the bass"?
It has small mouth area??

Tyimo

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, sounds like a mass loaded BLH to me, i.e. BR vent at the horn's mouth to increase its LF gain BW and smooth its response somewhat........... I mean its terminus is way too small to be much of a horn, but plenty large to be a low Q vent.

GM

priced at only 3250 British lbs, these give the 4300 Euro Gemme Vivace's a run for the money in the "how freakin much for a 4in driver" sweepstakes

For my taste a more elegant wife friendly enclosure on the Gemme's and of course, since is has to cost more to "defy the laws of physics"* they're obviously a bargain.

*quote from their website

http://66.130.192.248:9081/gemmeAud...aphs/0110/document/VFlex Brochure 10Jul07.pdf

I mean its terminus is way too small to be much of a horn, but plenty large to be a low Q vent.

I saw on the SH.1 picture an opening near to the floor and maybe there is something right under the driver?? Looks like a half circle...

Tyimo

Attachments

• dscf4312.jpg
    dscf4312.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 310
Tyimo said:

I saw on the SH.1 picture an opening near to the floor and maybe there is something right under the driver?? Looks like a half circle...

Tyimo

Yes, I took the apparent slot near the floor to be a horn vent based on the written description of operation and the funky looking driver box area as an interesting form of baffle loading to counteract the small horn's 3rd harmonic dip and the narrow cab baffle diffraction issue.

GM

Tyimo said:

I wish I could understand this english.......:confused: :eek:
What about are you speaking???:)

Tyimo

If you're asking about my quoted reference to "defying the laws of physics" , that's direct from Gemme Audio's PDF flyer for the VFlex technology. This is a purported revolutionary design which claims frequency response of 20Hz-20KHz at 92dB sensitivity from a single Fostex FE108E Sigma ( recommended room size of 100-200sq ft)

There have been some very favorable reviews of the Vivace, and they may indeed sound quite fine. Moreover, there are many fans of this driver (myself included), but that does not excuse a statement that insults the intelligence.

As Ed might say, this is world class "master baiting"

If on the other hand, you're just joking, nicely played sir.

But this is all OT, this thread was originally about the Lovington, which certainly makes no such exaggerated claims, and best wishes to Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.