Decision 2008 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2008, 03:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Decision 2008

The plaintive cry of the n00b, I need help.

There are to many designs out there and my head is starting to hurt. I need help deciding what to build.

I've attached a rough layout of the listening room. It's 12'-8" x 10'-8" x 8'. The amp is a Jolida 202a (Gonna try wiring it triode.)

I really want to fit a Half-Chang in there. A B20 would fit my budget alot better than an un-modified fostex right now but I could stretch it if arguments convince me to go that way. I can mod them later as my skills improve.

Music runs the gamit from Vivaldi to The White Stripes with long stops in Alt. Surf rock and Post Rock Instrumental. (Who comes up with these genres?) With some Jazz and old country(Think Marty Robins ect.)thrown in to taste.

Designs considered so far, Half-Chang, Zilla's 3 cu. ft. B20's, Demitri, Melvina, Brynn, Floorstanding Fonkens(maybe even the PAWO style fonken), PAWO, Harderrors FE-126 Horn, and the Frugalhorn.

Any and all comments are appreciated. Plus if there are any designs I haven't listed that would be good canidates, let me know.

Thanks to all.
Attached Images
File Type: png mancave2-model.png (6.2 KB, 518 views)
Old 25th January 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, given that your taste appears to primarily reside amongst the heavier side of things, and the room is a reasonable size, I'd be inclined to go with the 8in drivers. They sacrifice a bit of midrange magic to give better LF, so should be a good compromise. The B20 is a fine unit for the money by all accounts, & you can always upgrade to the FE207E when funds permit, so of the speakers you list, my choice would be Half Chang with the B20 & a pair of tweeters crossed in at ~5KHz.

Dimitri would be my next choice of those you list, with the 8in units. Won't sound as big in the LF, but certainly not small. You'd need to go straight to the more expensive units like the 207 or FR8c if you went for this approach though.

If you wanted smaller, the Frugel-horn or Ron's A126 would be my choice of the designs you list. Midrange will be to die for & they certainly go plenty low, but I'd want them supported with dedicated woofers. Small drivers have their limits -you can go loud, you can go low, but they can't shift a large quantity of air as well as dedicated bass units. There's no substitute for diaphram area in this respect -LF transient handling in particular will always be weaker with the smaller drivers (love them though I do).

Basic test I've recently developed. To know if a speaker will do well on rock, play Phil Collins's 'I Don't Care Anymore.' Drums should a) sound HUGE, b) be quicksilver-fast, and c) you should feel the weight of air smack into your chest. One or all of these missing? Not a good rock speaker.
Old 25th January 2008, 04:28 PM   #3
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,

this would be an alternative:
http://www.hm-moreart.de/101.htm
with measurements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kornettfront1kl.da.jpg (17.4 KB, 491 views)
Old 25th January 2008, 04:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Sweet! That was fast.

Thanks Scott,

I was leaning towards that one but it's always nice to have a little validation to back a person up.

HM,

What drivers was that cabinet designed for? Are they available in the US?
Old 25th January 2008, 05:33 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A simila question was posed over here:

so much research, so much indecision

Many of the replies are directly relevant.

dace
Old 25th January 2008, 05:37 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Well, given that your taste appears to primarily reside amongst the heavier side of things, and the room is a reasonable size,
Scott,

You must be from England or something. I'd put 10x12 into the smallish category,

dave
Old 25th January 2008, 06:06 PM   #7
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Scott,

You must be from England or something. I'd put 10x12 into the smallish category,

dave
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 25th January 2008, 06:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
A simila question was posed over here:
so much research, so much indecision
That's the one that prompted me to start this one. I am after information on my specific situation.

I guess I should have titled it "Can I squeeze a Half-Chang in here?"

These will not be the last speakers I build. I forsee a long journey ahead. A journey that's filled with mistakes, dead ends and learning. I'm just trying to minimize the dead ends before I start so initial disappointment dosen't blunt my enthusiasum.

Yes. It is a pretty small room but it's MY room. I've been given free-reign over this room only and it will wear many hats. Listening room. My computer room(the rest of the house belongs to the Mrs. and her laptop.) Video game room and project room will be a few of it's duties. In other words, a total man cave.
Old 25th January 2008, 06:49 PM   #9
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Cornet - THE Speaker alternative with only 17 cm width, for 10-13 cm driver, here:
Front driver Tang Band W4 1320 SD, rear inversely polarized the Monacor SPH-60 X 8 ohms,

It should hundrets different chassis combinations are possible,
Driver Reso 40-120 Hz, stroke min. 1 mm, Qts ~ 0,2-0,6

written under plan.
Old 25th January 2008, 07:05 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

gurley123

I think you'd very much love the Jolida in triode - if you haven't already researched it, you might want to try bypassing the feedback - the JD302 works very well that way.

Begging your pardon Scott, but all things considered, I'd tend to suggest maximum 6" driver for a room this size.

I think you can count on enough room gain that any of the full sized Scottmoose or BIB designs for 8" drivers would easily overpower the room, and if placed near the corners, might well have trouble integrating a seamless soundstage at the listening position shown on your sketch.

I recently built a pair of Brynns with FE127E for my sister, who is using them in a much larger room than you show (15'wide x 20'long, 15' cathedral ceiling, and extending into an attached kitchen/eating area) . She's only 2yrs younger than myself, so her headbanging days are past, and she hasn't yet complained about them not being big enough.
The Denon receiver she's driving them with however isn't as satisfying as the Kingrex T20U with which I first demo'ed them.

Back on topic;

If you're uncertain that 4" driver would work, and willing to try an as yet unproven design (I'll get around to a pair in the next couple of months) , contact Dave for drawings for a Half-Chili Chang for FE167.

Hide this!Advertise here!