S.P.Q.R. Model 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2008, 04:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default S.P.Q.R. Model 2

I would like to offer a new design fpr those interested in building: the S.P.Q.R. Model 2 for the Fostex FE126E. It sims extremely well and looks as though it will be a fantastic build. I, myself will be building within a couple of weeks. If anyone else would like to take the plunge and build let me know. I would be interested in following their progress. This plan and the design contained herein is for private use only. Any commercial use is a violation of copyright law. Thanks everyone!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: gif plans.gif (33.9 KB, 1713 views)
Old 24th January 2008, 04:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Another view of the cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speak1.jpg (68.2 KB, 1470 views)
Old 24th January 2008, 04:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

As you can see, it is quite compact. It should deliver a clean 55 Hz and a very usable 50 Hz. Room gain could take it even lower. It does not need to be corner loaded so that could be a plus for many builders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man speaker.jpg (76.0 KB, 1397 views)
Old 24th January 2008, 05:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here is the simulation plot. As I said, it hasn't been built yet but it looks promising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plot.jpg (69.7 KB, 1428 views)
Old 24th January 2008, 12:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hmmm...Nice wide baffle. You may not need a BSC. Plus it has that nice Hiro/Sachiko stepped path that should make it a fairly easy build. Kudos Harderror.

I really need to make out a list and prioritize my project schedual. Too many nice things to build .
Old 24th January 2008, 03:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gurley123
Hmmm...Nice wide baffle. You may not need a BSC. Plus it has that nice Hiro/Sachiko stepped path that should make it a fairly easy build. Kudos Harderror.

I really need to make out a list and prioritize my project schedual. Too many nice things to build .

Thanks! When designing this enclosure, one of my priorities was a wider baffle. That and a square footprint of modest but not minuscule dimensions. These two design requirements made for a bit of a shoe horn situation. Thanks to Scott, Ron, and GM some of the kinks of this sort of design were worked out.

I can't wait to build it either!

Next design will be a slightly more modest enclosure for the ANS8 than the one I built to begin with. I am hoping for a footprint of 15x15 and a height of no more than 4 feet with a tuning at the fs 37Hz of the driver. Now that will be challenge!
Old 19th February 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yikes! A small measurement error on the cut sheet and on the board numbering sheet (boards E and F) has been corrected! Here is the updated plan. Sorry for the problem folks!

Updated Model II plan.
http://www.box.net/shared/1uathoykg4

Tom
Old 20th February 2008, 01:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tom,

What do you think about putting a set of Tone Tubby's in your Model II's? Do think it would need a CC change? Or would it get to the point of a complete redesign before the performance was optimized?

Specs for the TT's are here.
Old 20th February 2008, 10:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gurley123
Tom,

What do you think about putting a set of Tone Tubby's in your Model II's? Do think it would need a CC change? Or would it get to the point of a complete redesign before the performance was optimized?

Specs for the TT's are here.

Well, I am going to be running some sims tonight on different drivers as there has been some interest in this so I will pop those numbers in as well and post my findings. At the latest, I will get it posted tomorrow.

Tom
Old 21st February 2008, 12:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Alright, I sat down and did some plots tonight. I am really very surprised by the results. I knew any horn ready driver of around 4.5 inches would work great. What I wasn't ready for was that a few that don't look like they should work, will. They may be a bit bass heavy but that can be dealt with. The Hemptone and the CSS will all work reasonably well. With a bit of work the bass can be tamed and you should a have a fine sounding system. The Pioneer looks like it will work without any work at all! Not bad for an 11 dollar driver. Having had experience with this driver, after a good deal of tweaking, it can be passable and even enjoyable. So, there you go. The Model II will work with any number of drivers.

All that being said. The Fostex FE127E looks like it is a no go. I tested one other that was a no go but I did not include it. The Hemp Acoustics FR4.5c. It, like the fe127e just won't comply with the design which is understandable.

Good luck everyone. I hope some more of you will be interested in this enclosure now that you have some choices of driver. Obviously it was designed with the FE126E and the FE108 Sigma in mind but others will work, so...

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: gif model ii blh driver analysis.gif (41.2 KB, 1077 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!