How best to be an audio evangelist? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
marec is offline marec  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default How best to be an audio evangelist?

I built a pair of MJK's 2 driver OBs recently. They are so good i want to share them with everyone!

I was sat planning how to demonstrate them to an old friend of ours (who hasn't the slightest interest in HiFi), when
I was suddenly reminded of my father doing the same thing in the early 60's. He used (to no appreciable effect on his
neighbours and friends; other than alienation...) a recording of a steam train leaving a tunnel.

What's the current equivalent?

Mark
Old 23rd January 2008, 07:59 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Invite them to bring a selection of their own favorite music, blockbusters included, and don't tell them what to expect. Indeed, this is the case where a completely impartial or "disinterested" listener can deliver the most interesting responses.

a good system should be able to do all the "talking"

of course, after the first couple of demo's, the word might get around
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:21 PM   #3
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

I had somebody come over and bring their own music one time. They were younger and liked the popular stuff my kids listen to on the radio. It sounded terrible, very poor compressed recordings. So we listened for a while and then I broke out my standard system show off disks of acoustic jazz and older rock recordings. The change in sound quality and performance was huge. The comment I got was that they now understood what I ment when asked at work what I had done last night, and I said I had listened to some music. They did not appreciate what that implied until that afternoon.
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:31 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK
I had somebody come over and bring their own music one time. They were younger and liked the popular stuff my kids listen to on the radio. It sounded terrible, very poor compressed recordings. So we listened for a while and then I broke out my standard system show off disks of acoustic jazz and older rock recordings. The change in sound quality and performance was huge. The comment I got was that they now understood what I ment when asked at work what I had done last night, and I said I had listened to some music. They did not appreciate what that implied until that afternoon.

yeah, I guess it's too easy to assume that anyone interested in listening to a "decent" system has necessarily cultured the same refined taste as the owner

It took my now 24yr old son several years to understand what I was getting at about MP3s - in fact not until he spent a 6month trip in Asia, bopping around with a cheap acoustic guitar. Once he got intimate with the sound of a real instrument, it's become a lot easier to not have to explain how my own musical preferences have changed.
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He used a recording of a steam train leaving a tunnel.
That's funny you should mention that. I know someone who's dad used to play that.
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:57 PM   #6
The one and only

You want a vinyl copy of "Steam Locomotives under Thundering
Skies", apparently the first Mobile Fidelity release.

Used copies are generally in good shape - it doesn't get played
much - We used it every couple hours to clear the room at RMAF.
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:12 PM   #7
marec is offline marec  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I bought about 1000 Lps before the change came. Then I had a few years of working away from home. Anyway, as a result I have a relatively small number of cds and tend to listen a lot to the radio.

We have a "serious music" channel in the UK called Radio 3. There is a fabulous world music program at 2315 hrs called Late Junction. This introduces me to all sorts of sounds I've never heard before which I am sure are familiar to others here...

Currently I'm buying Tom Waits and Francois Tetaz.

Small jazz combos give tremendous imagery, but Arvo Part's beatitudes were wonderful last night with slightly larger forces

Mark
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Late Junction. Now you're talking. Along with Russel Brand, & any Lauren Laverne show that happens to be on, one of our finest modern radio moments. I love those deliciously English Public Schoolgirl voices Fiona & Verity have too. Perfect late evening listening.
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

To name some 'young' stuff:

Well-produced electronic music from the analog age tends to "blossom" on good equipment, much to the surprise of regular listeners.

Italo-disco often works well. The Italians kept on making disco after it went out of vogue most other places, and really mastered synthesizer production. Giorgio Moroder often sounds beautiful, and if he can quite elegantly cross any generational gap you might have in your listening room.

It's a lot of fun listening to music that has been primarily produced for nightclub use, but has a hidden audiophile side. These men weren't kidding around in their studios. To resort to gobbledygook: there's lots of lovely air in the sound, and the synthetic, controlled microdynamics are a real pleasure.

Furthermore, I realized how Stereolab live up to their name when I heard their recordings on a good system.

@Nelson Pass: Great anecdote
Old 24th January 2008, 07:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

They never care about our good recordings, we have to play something they like to get any attention...

Also, dont bother mentioning stage and detail and whatever audiophile attributes, it will only bother them...

The best is to play a DVD with a nice girl, they will love your hifi...

Hide this!Advertise here!