help with a box for fostex fe83e - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2008, 11:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help with a box for fostex fe83e

looked on the fostex web sit and they have a drawing for a base reflex enclosure.i had the boxes constucted according to their plans.i want to know what to expect sound wise.would anyone be willing to look at the plans on their site ang give me some help on what to expect sound wise.i am using them on a desk with a t amp. thanks, larry
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:41 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

?? Since they're built, seems like you'd be telling us how they sound. That said, every Fostex box I've read reviews of said they have a 'thin' bass line, so typically require a baffle step compensation (BSC) ckt. to ~tonally balance them: http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/..._Articles.html

GM
Old 23rd January 2008, 06:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i had the boxes built the drivers are ordered .i used the box suggested by the speaker manufacturer .what can i do to increase base??
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:08 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

It'll be an uphill battle to get much in the way of SPL and extended bass from this driver in even the double bass reflex enclosure.

There are probably enclosures that could squeeze a bit more performance from this driver, particularly in the LF area - but eventually it'll hit the wall.

OTOH, it sounds as if you'll be using them in a very nearfield situation (computer speakers?), in which case you won't know the extent of the limitations until you plug them in.

GM's comment regarding BSC should also be considered
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
GM, where did we leave your design for the huge horn for these things? You know, the one with a mouth the size of a door . . .

Kensai
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

right now i use a amp6 basic an old rotel cd player and two minimus77 speakers.they sound pretty good .the center immage is realy nice.i hope these will beat them. full range are noted for thir mids right?as you can tell i know nothing about speaker building.any help would be great.
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:01 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Don't remember doing it and if I did I apparently didn't save it. Did a ~32 Hz FF185K though with a 59.872" square mouth. Stretch it up and it'd be the size of a wide entrance door. The sim says it's only good for one watt down low, but a big tweeter making 100 dB/35 Hz while barely moving would be a sight to behold if it can actually do it.

The trade-off though is that due to the ~257" path-length you'd need plenty of digital delay and a high gain front horn on it to balance it out with a tweeter horn to finish it off, so not worth the effort for such limited dynamic headroom.

GM
Old 24th January 2008, 09:05 PM   #8
arjenh is offline arjenh  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi!

During 2003, I have built a pair of these for a set of FE87E (see image). After reading all the reviews saying "a lot of bass for such a small speaker", I was a bit disappointed. Ther is no bass for me. However, voices sound nice, and small combo music is nice to llisten to. Very good imaging.

When combined with a pair of low-range speakers they sound very nice. They are one of the nicest mid/high units I have heard so far.

Further, I have tried them in a FRS-8 (Visaton) Buschhorn enclosure. This also delivered a very thin sound, much less body than the FRS-8. Also here - no bass for me. Even less balanced than in a BR. Note that this rear loaded horn was not designed fort this driver. The Fostex horn enclosure probably will do better.

Last but not least, I tested the FE87E in open baffle enclosures with more or less serious constructions. I have tried the baffle from the BR enclosure for example. The most funny one is seen in the other picture. There I have screwed a box to the BR baffle to obtain a lower tuning of the mid/high unit.

In open baffle, I love these drivers! Mainly because highs and mids are very coherent and sound well together. I am planning to build a nice enclosure and fit them to a nice set of 6-7" low range speakers that I will use in a TL enclosure. A passive filter to make a lowpass for the woofer and a highpass to lower the low frequency response of the FE87E and make them play cleaner.

Have fun with your little boxes! These are very nice drivers to experiment with!

Arjen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe87e-2003.jpg (18.3 KB, 633 views)
Old 24th January 2008, 09:05 PM   #9
arjenh is offline arjenh  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

And the other image, nice baffle ej?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0038.jpg (50.1 KB, 644 views)
Old 24th January 2008, 09:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Origanally posted by arjenh
nice baffle ej?
I've used that baffle!

Hide this!Advertise here!