Fonken floorstander MKII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yesterday I was looking over some designs and I just can't make up my mind. Right now I am leaning toward the Sachiko but don't have any past experience with a full range driver. So I just said screw it and decided to build the Fonken MKII for the time being to use as a basis to improve on.

I cut out all of the panels with some wood I already had and started glueing up today.
IMGDEAD]

I ordered the drivers today and should have it finished within a couple of weeks.

One question I have is I am thinking about using a roundover on the baffle and a wondering if this will be OK.

Also while pondering on what to use to fill the base I noticed I have a bag of quickcrete mortar and thougt this might not be a bad idea to use. Just mix some up and pour it in the void them install the baffle after it dries. What do yall think?

Re: Ballast for Fonken

gurley123 said:
Ed from The Hornshoppe has used BB's to good effect. Not too expensive, not poisonous like lead and you can use a magnet to fish them out if you want.

musgofasa said:
LOL
Why I am not surprided that Ed has a use like this for Ammo?

Does sound like a good idea though

Take care,
Robert

I'm sure Ed has "used BB's" to his satisfaction in places other than speaker cabinet voids.

I just fired these up, all I can say is WOW!!!! I am a believer. I integrated them with a sub and it was truly amazing. Can't believe this 4.5" driver is doing what it is and this is at a zero hours on the driver, can't wait to get some hours on them.

I left the poly fill out of one of them but did not pay attention to which one it was. One speaker defiantly sounds fuller than the other, I will know which one it is when I disassemble them for finishing. I just have to install the bases I made with spikes and then can start finishing. Hope to have some pics in a couple of days.

Thank you for the FONKEN!!!! Now I know I am going to want to build something with the bigger drivers :D.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ecir38 said:
Dave which drivers will you be working with for the uberFonken? Or will this be the FE127 in a more effiencent enclosure? Any prelim attachments?

Both the FX120 & the F120A have specs that are similar to the FE127. Next i have FX120 coming (F120A still out of reach). I'll have to come up with another name too, either for between the uber & the Fonken, or some name that indicates better than uber.... Bud was quite stoked about the F120A, and Gio about the FX120.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.