Pioneer 8" B20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2008, 01:26 AM   #1
WORS is offline WORS  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer B20 8"

I have ordered these speakers for the Godzilla Piezo project so while I wait I have some questions. What rots the foam surround on speakers? Is it humidity-time-heat? Is there a certain "life" expectancy on foam surrounds?
The other question regards spl for the B20...I am building 4 sealed cabs sized 1.6cf with a rear facing Piezo.They will be mounted near the corners facing slightly down and towards the middle of our game/party room. Will they be loud enough for the odd blowout in a 18LX18WX9H space? I shall run them with a 10" powered subwoofer. The amp is a NAD.

bring on 08,
Cheers
Old 1st January 2008, 01:47 AM   #2
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe it is a combination of things that can cause them to deteriorate. However, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the new foam surrounds will not fall apart. Either that or they are just on the horizon.
Old 1st January 2008, 07:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They sound better in open baffle / infinite baffle. If you got a subwoofer I suggest that you do not run sealed, or with a piezo, and just do the damar coat and whizzer cone removal.
Old 1st January 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Destroyer- I am limited to the 4 corners for the B20. What is the minimum baffle size I can get away with for corner/ceiling mount?
Would 2x2sq ft cut it?
Old 1st January 2008, 09:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Destroyer, whats you basis on damaring, removing the whizzer and not installing the piezo if running a subwoofer? It don't make much sense to me. Just a little more info might clear my confusion.

WORS, whats above your ceiling? Is it the attic or is this room in the basement? It you have the attic above, you could put the speakers in the ceiling at the four corners with a baffle that comes down a bit to point the speakers towards the middle of the room but still keep the front sealed from the back. This would be an infinite baffle setup then.
Old 1st January 2008, 09:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am not sure what baffle size would be best. I am running them in a open box that was around 2 cubic feet which I did not design to be ideal, just found I preferred it a lot over a closed box.

The damaring helps a lot, it really gives it some control. This is basically giving it treatment that a lot of drivers like paper cones get from the factory, that it lacks. The speaker was simply made with cheap foamish paper but you are correcting the softness.

The whizzer cone is too weak and the highs that is pretends to give off are weak and not very entertaining, really just creates some counter muttering noise. I find no lack of any high frequency's as far as my taste goes without it, and what it does do sounds a lot more accurate.

Both modifications increased (in a 2 channel setup) imaging, transparency, and accuracy on a scale of I would not want the speakers without it, like I would buy something else, kind of way. They also have the capability for some more impact with the less flimsy cone. Drums and guitars can give you some umph you feel.

I just consider the piezo sort of a waste of time myself, I tried it with lots of resistors and found it never really to add much (the territory is not filling in much to begin with after damar on B20). I would think a horn or sorts would be more appropriate if you want to be loud.

If you are running a subwoofer open baffle / semi open / infinite works nice. I just find there is not enough low extension in the B20 for my taste.

I think the ceiling mount idea would be ideal in this situation as the other fellow mentions. You get infinite baffle, probably low problems with canceling wave forms, and could look nice.
Old 1st January 2008, 10:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The room is in the basement. I was under the impression that the whizzer cone "helps" with the highs?
Old 1st January 2008, 11:37 PM   #8
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is what Godzilla has to say about size of the B20 enclosure.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The whizzer cone might make some of the highs louder, but the fact that it makes them sound worse, for what little it does, makes it not worth it after putting the damar on.
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

How tough is it to remove said whizzer and am I not better off leaving it alone and "painting" dammar on the whole deal. btw how do you aply the dammar-soft brush? Do you do both sides?

Hide this!Advertise here!