Half Chang to fit my need's ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2007, 11:01 AM   #1
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lykkedk
Question Half Chang to fit my need's ?

Hi all in here.

As i am a totally newbie, into loudspeaker's, i decided to make a new tread here. As seen before : which speaker's to choose ??

I have falling in love with the HalfChang design, but i am not sure if they are prober for my setup. (Hope they are through!)

I must confess, that i like loud music, with plenty Bass and soo, but i also like listning to clean music. The speaker's i have right now, i constantly stroggle with, to play loud enough with my equipment, but they simply are to hard to drive. My equipment, is two PassDiy F4's monoblocks (fully balanced), and a prober preamp. to drive them.

As mentioned before, i really like the HalfChang design. http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-051107.pdf
But i have a few quistion's on Driver's serieresistor's etc...

1. Is the preferred driver the FE206E + 4ohm series resistor ? http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/fostex/fe206e.pdf

2. How big in watt must such a resistor be (5/10/20watt)?? and what type is preferred ? (metaloxie metalfilm ceramic wirewound) ?

I see that in drawing's of HalfChang, that 18mm. ply is preffered, is there any other thing's to consider, when buying wood for the project ?

Well, iam also wide open for combination, with an sub! (just a thought) ...

Jesper.

I attached a plan, for my living room, so that size's between wall's can be seen if any interest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor plan.jpg (28.5 KB, 686 views)
Old 31st December 2007, 01:38 PM   #2
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Half Chang to fit my need's ?

Quote:
Originally posted by lykkedk
[B]

I have falling in love with the HalfChang design, but i am not sure if they are prober for my setup. (Hope they are through!)
I have to confess that I too like it's design. It has one asthetic advantage over the full blown Chang in that it is less intrusive in the room, and there are some serious advantages to that. Mostly dealing with the spouse.

Over at the PE forum they call it SAF(Spouse Approval Factor).

Quote:
1. Is the preferred driver the FE206E + 4ohm series resistor ? http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/fostex/fe206e.pdf
I also believe the FE207E will work just as well, if not better, since it is a shielded driver, allowing you to place it right next to your TV screen.

The Pioneer B20 full range should also work as well, I believe.

Quote:
2. How big in watt must such a resistor be (5/10/20watt)?? and what type is preferred ? (metaloxie metalfilm ceramic wirewound) ?
I'm just guessing here, but I don't think it will matter, since the current passing through the line will not put it to enough stress to cause it to fail. I'm just guessing since I am no electrician. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong here. Naturally, the more it can handle the better.

Quote:
I see that in drawing's of HalfChang, that 18mm. ply is preffered, is there any other thing's to consider, when buying wood for the project ?
Most 'so called' 3/4" plywood, here in the US, is also of that thickness, I believe. I did a conversion check and 18mm is 0.7091999999999999", which sounds right.

However, if you are going to use plywood, make certain that you buy the best quality you can. A good cabinet grade plywood, having a nice facing is preferrable. If you are going to paint it, then that is of less importance, but remember, a smooth finish also makes the best paint job.

Can you get a nice light coloured finish on plywood, such as maple, or highly figured ash? A nice maple veneered plywood, sealed in a 1-2 pound cut of shellac would be great. If you want it to be darker, you could use an "Orange" unwaxed shellac, or for a lighter shade, try a "Blond" or "Super Blond"

The nice thing about shellac is that when dissolved in denatured alcohol, the tone quality is imprinted into the wood just like a dye stain, giving it a uniform stain quality throuoghout the entire surface. This brings out the shimmer quality, and grain depth, of wood, such as maple. If the maple is highly figured, or what is also called 'fiddleback', the staining quality of the shellac makes the ripples stand out and shimmer.

And if the maple is also a 'bird's eye' maple, the eyes stand out as well. maple is one of the most beautiful woods, when stained with a dye stain, or sealed with a shellac. Most people don't appreciate maple because they are used to pigmentated stain, which used finely ground rock/pummace to inject color. Since the finely ground rock is much larger than the dye quality, it cannot get into the grain of hard, finely grained woods such as maple. Consequently few people work with maple on a DIY basis. But with a dye stain or shellac, the results can be amazing.

But enough with the woodworking. You are interested in the sound.

I would be interested in this project were I not already in the process of making my own project at this time.
Old 31st December 2007, 02:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

To me, the FE206E with the 4 ohms of series resistance looks just like the FE207E spec wise. A few of the specs are different, but by a neglagable amount I would say.

The series resistance on the FE206E changes the total Q of the driver (Qt) allowing it to produce more bass in this bigger box. Without the resistance in series with the driver it would sound very week in the bass. You could save yourself the purchase and worry of the extra resistor buy buying the FE207E, if you want to go the Fostex route. You also get the added benefit of a shielded speaker which can be nice beside a t.v.
Old 31st December 2007, 02:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, iam also wide open for combination, with an sub! (just a thought) ...
Jesper - I've sent you a longer reply to the email you sent me but in response to your idea about possibly needing a sub I'd recommend that you give the finished speakers a good listen first. Unless you are into heavy hip-hop or head banging rock, I think you'll be quite pleased with the Half Chang low end. I disconnected my sub and am very pleased.

At some point I'll have to ask Marting King if I can bring them over and have him run them through his measuring equipment, but I'm pretty sure that I'm getting a fairly respectable upper 30 hz on the low end. Your amplifier will have some effect on this, of course.
Old 31st December 2007, 02:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have a question here. How does the regular Chang and the half Chang compare to each other? Does the removal of the upper opening seriously affect the sound quality?

I'm curious here, because the half Chang is less symmetrical, but less obtrusive in the listening room.
Old 31st December 2007, 02:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I designed it for the 207 -the 206 with series resistance is an option. Some would say that the latter is superior as the larger motor still provides some benefits. Then again, the 207 isn't exactly lacking on the old motor-power front -it's got a lower Q than most Lowthers. Then again, you can never have too much motor power. YMMV.

Adding series resistance raises Qe, reduces Re & weakens Bl (all of which has the effect of lifting Qt).
Old 31st December 2007, 03:27 PM   #7
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lykkedk
Quote:
Jesper - I've sent you a longer reply to the email you sent me
Thanks Bob... hmm seem's that i did not recieve this mail... could you perhaps send it again ?

Thank's all for nice reply's... i am having newyearsparty real soon here, so i am not sure, that i can reply much more this evening....

Again thanks i really appreciate the great helping...

Jesper.
Old 31st December 2007, 04:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
I designed it for the 207 -the 206 with series resistance is an option. Some would say that the latter is superior as the larger motor still provides some benefits. Then again, the 207 isn't exactly lacking on the old motor-power front -it's got a lower Q than most Lowthers. Then again, you can never have too much motor power. YMMV.

Adding series resistance raises Qe, reduces Re & weakens Bl (all of which has the effect of lifting Qt).
Scottmoose, what is the difference between the regular Chang and the Half-Chang? Hasn't someone listened to each of them?
Old 31st December 2007, 04:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

AFAIK, nobody has built both for direct comparisons. The regular box will sound significantly larger, & have superior imaging, especially front-rear.
Old 31st December 2007, 04:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
AFAIK, nobody has built both for direct comparisons. The regular box will sound significantly larger, & have superior imaging, especially front-rear.
It would be interesting to see if there is a significant difference.

And here is another thought. What if the opening from the rear was to be placed on top, instead of on the bottom. Would that make a difference in the presense category, and would the single driver be placed high enough?

Hide this!Advertise here!