Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default I made new speakers for Supravox 215SB

Ok guys, I made new enclosures for my speakers. They're 125L and leaky.

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IkqxBr0OOs

(the baffles I used in my previous room: http://my.hifi.nl/index.php?user=1088 )

I had to tweak the equalizer settings quite a bit, but it worked out very nicely. The low end was very affected by this new enclosure (obviously), but also the voices were suddenly more 'layed back' and distant for which I had to compensate. Now they're nice and articulate.

Click the image to open in full size.

In fact, I'm quite blown away by the detail level this 'monitor' style setup generates. I have a difficult time judging which is more detailed: my Beyerdynamic 990 headphones or the speakers. I'll have to conclude that they have their own strengths. The headphones have a wider range but somehow the voices and highs are astonishing with the Supravoxes. More convincing and natural than the headphones. And the lows are really well-defined also, going as deep as 37-40 hz.

I'm currently playing with a DIY gainclone amp that I made some years ago before purchasing the JLTi. The JLTi will be coming back from repairs in Januari and I'm really interested in the changes that's gonna bring.
Old 31st December 2007, 02:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie question on eq'ing

Greetings Nielsio. May I ask -- do you arrive at those settings via some kind of measurement feature of the Behringer (i.e., maybe a microphone and white noise) or are you using some other method? (I apologize if the answer is obvious and already well-known.) Thanks in advance.
Old 31st December 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Newbie question on eq'ing

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd
Greetings Nielsio. May I ask -- do you arrive at those settings via some kind of measurement feature of the Behringer (i.e., maybe a microphone and white noise) or are you using some other method? (I apologize if the answer is obvious and already well-known.) Thanks in advance.

Good question.

The Behringer has an automatic tool that uses noise and a microphone to create the settings. But you can get a wide variety of results with that. After many tries I found a setting that worked well through that and I've used that setting since as my basis. In the past I've also used active equalization meaning I use a microphone and my computer and I do manual equalization and see the results change instantly. Especially the low end is something you'll have to manually equalize because this is so variable depending on where you are in the room. But using some sweeps and generated frequencies makes this easier.

This also helped me:
http://nielsio.blogspot.com/2007/11/...akers-and.html

Hide this!Advertise here!