Gel glue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2007, 05:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Gel glue

I'm making a new topic on this and not putting it in the Harvey builder's thread.

Gel glue at least looks like a way to get a bead that will hold without
running or 'evaporating' into porous edges. that are receiving the glue.

Has anyone used this with any success?
Old 26th December 2007, 10:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have used it in the past when I bought a bottle to try. It does seem to "stay put" a lot better than the regular Titebond type one or two which I usually use.
I also use this which is quite good. If you don't get a good edge it will seal minor gaps.

http://www.liquidnails.com/ViewProdu...o?productId=42 liquid nails
Old 26th December 2007, 11:46 PM   #3
EEatKSU is offline EEatKSU  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Gel glue

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
I'm making a new topic on this and not putting it in the Harvey builder's thread.

Gel glue at least looks like a way to get a bead that will hold without
running or 'evaporating' into porous edges. that are receiving the glue.

Has anyone used this with any success?
On the topic of Gel glue, I've never been a fan of it, I just don't it, no real hard evidence as to why I don't use it other than personal preference.

To me when it is 'evaporating' as you put it, into the endgrain that is how it forms a strong bond. When it soaks into the endgrain it is getting more than just a surface bond to hold the joint.

I've never had any problems with Titebond II, (I'm not a fan of Titebond III) but my policy of glueing is that if it doesn't squeeze out from the edge all the way around, you don't have enough glue. I put glue evenly spred on both sides of the joint that I'm gluing, then clamp and have yet to have a proper glue joint fail.

On the topic of glue, since it is the season of cold, don't let your woodglue freeze, it won't be good after it freezes and thaws, I've wasted more than one bottle from forgeting it in the shop and leaving for the evening.

*Edit* On the topic of liquid nails, it can be used for caulking, but it is NOT a wood glue, so please don't replace it for a good wood glue.
Old 27th December 2007, 02:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
*Edit* On the topic of liquid nails, it can be used for caulking, but it is NOT a wood glue, so please don't replace it for a good wood glue.
It is sold as an adhesive but I sucessfully used it to build a pair of jerico horns in 2001 and they are still together

I would agree it is not as strong as e.g. tightbond which (with a proper joint) is about as strong as the wood itself.

On the subject of adhesives and glues, I would not recommend those "poly" glues e.g. Gorilla Glue. I find they don't hold anywhere near as well as regular wood glue and are a pain to clean up. Certainly don't use it in a e.g. dovetail or similar joint where you need the moisture from the glue to help pull the joint together.

Thats my experience.
Old 27th December 2007, 03:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, for anyone who hasn't used Gorilla glue or the Borden clone it foams at the edges after sitting for a while so you have watch it forever and then wipe off the excess.

I think I'll use the usual Titebond knockoff I normally do from Bordens called Professional Woodworkers glue.

I've prepared my edges with a homemade wide sanding block about 2 feet long. This is a great tool for leveling the edge surface of the Harvey and all its pieces. You just take your 1x2 or whatever cutoff you have, cut the paper, spread glue on the receiving surface and sandwich a press board over and clamp. I make mine 2 sided on scraps.

Since the remaining edges are on the up side and ready to receive the
last side panel, buttering both surfaces is next to impossible without a runny mess.

That's why I wondered about the gel.

When I made the BIB I used a caul across the whole diagonal length with alternating shims at the center to get enough pressure to make contact plus corner clamps etc. The BIB turned out fine.
Old 27th December 2007, 05:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewbee

I would agree it is not as strong as e.g. tightbond which (with a proper joint) is about as strong as the wood itself.

A proper wood glue joint is stronger than the wood.

If any of you have not seen this article, I suggest you read it.

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/346/wood-glue-showdown
Old 27th December 2007, 05:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes I had seen the FWW piece as well. Those usually show the glue yanking out a piece of wood rather than separating from the bond.

I've used Dap Kwik Seal clear caulk to put the BIB together. I do this in case I want to take the thing apart for a tweak.

This is the other option for the Harvey: caulk holds a bead, dries firm but not brittle. I consider this good for speaker seal and have used it over and over again. I'm fence sitting on using this method with the Harvey.

In case you think a butt joint of caulk on MDF or particle board doesn't hold, I spent a good amount of time trying to get a box separated that I considered temporary. I used a wide putty knife blade and
a hammer and chopped away for 15 minutes before it came loose.
Old 27th December 2007, 10:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses on this topic.

I slept on it and had a nice long soak to think it over.

The Gorilla glue would solve most of the assembly problems because it expands in the joint and is brittle enough to break out if the build does not work out. Initial listening tests on the Harvey indicated that my build had a long way to go to contain frequency in the BR and not have it leak out the throats.

I'm going to make some experiments on how easily a joint with GG separates (knocks out) and also how well it fills in an edge assembly to full panel piece.
Old 28th December 2007, 04:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton

The Gorilla glue would solve most of the assembly problems because it expands in the joint

This is the reason I will NEVER use Gorilla glue in a woodworking application. Expanding glue would cause way more problems than it would ever solve for me. Use a fence, make the cuts right and you don't need expanding glue.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, I've seen Gorilla Glue behave and that's why I'd glue up a few scraps first. I've seen all the squeeze out from the chemical reaction with the water after, you know, you think the squeeze out is over with.

My cutter has mostly dead flat cuts. I've seen his blade and watched the setup on the table saw. Over long lengths and with a small basement setup is where some problems can come in. Plus less than perfect stock. I can always revert to the standard wood glue and appreciate your warnings.

Even though we did all the dimensions in one pass to avoid variations I can still see small amounts of daylight at the seam. Clamping will pull most of it together.

So there's a couple of fall-back solutions. The trouble with making one-off projects is you only get one chance. This is not production work.

Hide this!Advertise here!