FR cab design/drivers for EL84 PP Scott - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2007, 06:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FR cab design/drivers for EL84 PP Scott

Gents,

I have a Scott 222 and am curious about FR designs and driver recommendations. This is my first endeavour into tube hifi, although I've used a ton of tube gear for several recording projects. I'm really interested in the myriad of folded horn designs I've seen online.

I'm probably looking for a corner speaker location for enhanced low end. I want to listen to the music I already like, mostly indie rock, jazz, etc. Not a huge demand on low end, however I definately require some. The 222 does wonderfully with my DC Tannoy studio mons, but would like to experiment with the little fullrangers. I'm also on a definate budget for my first jump into the FR driver realm.

Any and all info would be much appreciated, Nathan
Old 25th December 2007, 09:23 AM   #2
cwujek is offline cwujek  United States
diyAudio Member

Whats your room size? And where in WA are you located?
Old 26th December 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

I run a Scott 299B w/ many a open baffle system but no BLH's as of yet. There are so many ...great amp you got there..
Old 26th December 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd try a BIB cab as it's super easy to build and performs really well. If you want to go for the smaller drivers then an inverted BIB is the way to go.. I use them with Fostex fe108ez drivers and the bass is quite impressive as is the overall presentation.

There is talk of some ripple with the BIB cabs, which to me is way over-rated for some reason as they held their own to some highly tweaked cabs that I've heard and sound fuller overall with the same beautiful midrange ,although maybe just a touch less refined .

To my ears the fe108 still beats the 126 out in midrange finesse, even the modded version. So much tweaking has been done to the 126 to get it like the 108 that if sens isn't a prob then I'd go with the 108 ,as that driver could also be taken further..

The modded 126 in Rons A126 horn will blow your mind though if you'd like to go with the 126.. And there is Ron designed horns for the 6 and 8 inch drivers also that are very highly regarded by many. I've only heard the A126 with both fe108 and 126 drivers and they are wonderful horns..
Dave
Old 27th December 2007, 02:46 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan
To my ears the fe108 still beats the 126 out in midrange finesse, even the modded version. So much tweaking has been done to the 126 to get it like the 108 that if sens isn't a prob then I'd go with the 108 ,as that driver could also be taken further..
Dave's 108 BIBs are quite nice -- i find they do have audible ripple thou -- the inspiration for the iBIBk ... still haven't built those yet thou. Dave hasn't heard the latest state of the art in modded FE126... i still haven't been able to make an FE108eS as good overall as FE126eN or FE127eN.

There are so many choices for well vetted FR boxes it can be overwhelming (certainly better than nor enuff choice)

A horn speaker that uses the corners really narrows things down thou... the aforementioned BIB, the Frugel-Horn, the Austin A126 or A166 (i guess one could include things like the Buschhorns too, but the previously mentioned are much better)

dave
Old 27th December 2007, 06:51 AM   #6
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Dave's 108 BIBs are quite nice -- i find they do have audible ripple thou -- the inspiration for the iBIBk ... still haven't built those yet thou. Dave hasn't heard the latest state of the art in modded FE126... i still haven't been able to make an FE108eS as good overall as FE126eN or FE127eN.

Yes the mods I heard were pre eN, I should have clued in about that as I'm thinking back a year or so and it was before the new mods etc, sorry about that Dave I should have remembered that..

Anyhow all the horns I've heard; Buschorn mrk2, Frugalhorn, A126, the BIB, and even that first horn I listened to at your place way back Dave, the first time I came over that had the old 103 Fostex sound way better than anything one could find at the local big box store, way more real to my ears..

What I think is really cool is a person could go to the big box store and say listened to a pair of regarded speakers in the 3 or $400 range ie: Boston Acoustics, Polk, Energy, Paradigm, Totem etc. Then go home slap a BIB together (in my case) put some fe108's in them and blow them away for sq and realism for under $300. Then you can go back and listen to other speakers way into the 4 figure range and still be competing nicely, maybe not as pretty a cab or the high levels of bass but way better sq overall..

Fullrange no xover sound is a beautiful thing if a person is at the point where mad volumes and massive bass is no longer the goal and a more intimate involvement is desired.. Hope I'm not going OT? and in closing any of the cabs mentioned are surely worthy of the time invested at the work bench... Dave

Old 27th December 2007, 05:12 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan

Fullrange no xover sound is a beautiful thing if a person is at the point where mad volumes and massive bass is no longer the goal and a more intimate involvement is desired.. Hope I'm not going OT? and in closing any of the cabs mentioned are surely worthy of the time invested at the work bench... Dave

Actually, Dave - I think that's the whole point of the full range forum - not all of us want or need 100dB SPL or 20Hz to get the point - hopefully those that claim to espouse tolerance for "YMMV" actually live by those words.

Hide this!Advertise here!