Toe Dipping With Pioneer Bu20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2007, 06:55 AM   #1
WORS is offline WORS  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Toe Dipping With Pioneer Bu20

HOHOHO
I AM KEEN TO START ON A FULL RANGE ADVENTURE AND I HAVE TWO EMPTY LARGE MONITOR STYLE (23x14x12) CABS AND WAS HOPING YOU COULD HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO DO. I PLAN TO SPEND NO MORE THAN $100 -THUS THE PIONEER BU20 IS THE DRIVER/S OF CHOICE. HERE ARE MY THREE QUESTIONS 1)CAN I PLACE TWO DRIVERS PER CAB? 2)HOW WOULD I WIRE THEM? 3)MUST I GO WITH A PIEZO AS WELL?
THE SPEAKERS WILL BE USED IN 30X20 ROOM ON EITHER SIDE OF A TV AND I CAN USE A 15"VELODYNE SUB IF YOU ADVISE SO.
THE AMP IS A NAD.
I JUST WANT TO HAVE A BIT OF FUN AND THE SATISFACTION OF DIY.
THANKS
MERRY X AND A HAPPY 08
Old 24th December 2007, 02:40 PM   #2
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Quote:
1)CAN I PLACE TWO DRIVERS PER CAB?
You can, but I wouldn't.

Quote:
2)HOW WOULD I WIRE THEM?
If I was going to use two per cab, I'd use them in bipole fashion (one on front and one on back) wired in parallel. But I suspect you're going to use them up against the wall flanking the TV, so...

Quote:
3)MUST I GO WITH A PIEZO AS WELL?
No, especially if you go with one driver per cabinet. There's a great little tweeter that's dirt cheap that people have found works exceptionally well with the Pioneer.

Quote:
THE SPEAKERS WILL BE USED IN 30X20 ROOM ON EITHER SIDE OF A TV AND I CAN USE A 15"VELODYNE SUB IF YOU ADVISE SO.
That's a big room, so you'll probably need it.

Quote:
THE AMP IS A NAD.
The drivers are a little power hungry according to some, so you'll probably need that too.

Quote:
I JUST WANT TO HAVE A BIT OF FUN AND THE SATISFACTION OF DIY.
Well, you'll probably have fun making them, but you may be a bit disappointed by the sound unless by sheer coincedence the dimensions of your cabinets are good for these particular drivers.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

(P.S. It's considered really bad form to type in all caps - it reads like you're shouting at people.)

Old 24th December 2007, 04:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

BHD
Thank you for your reply. I have the fever for this full range thing. After searching late into the night I found the Eminence Beta 12 LTA driver and it seems my cabs would work with this driver. It is a little more $$$ but what the heck it's x-mas! I am dazed and confused to say the least.
Thanks again
Wors
Old 24th December 2007, 04:05 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

If XO'd in the 50-80 Hz range depending on the order, the cab looks good for a single B20 if sealed or two if open back/loosely stuffed.

GM
Old 24th December 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WORS
..........the Eminence Beta 12 LTA driver and it seems my cabs would work with this driver.
Based on the measured specs I have, it would be a mildly under-damped sealed alignment that would only be more so in actual HT use, though not necessarily obviously audible once the XO's dialed in.

GM
Old 24th December 2007, 05:49 PM   #6
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I have the fever for this full range thing. After searching late into the night I found the Eminence Beta 12 LTA driver and it seems my cabs would work with this driver. It is a little more $$$ but what the heck it's x-mas! I am dazed and confused to say the least.
I'd stick with the Pioneers and supertweeters if for no other reason than it stays within your budget and there will be lots of choices of cabinets to put them in, like the chang and BIB. I bet the combo will sound GREAT with an NAD amp.

Old 24th December 2007, 06:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

GM

I need some leadership here! Are you saying go bu20 in a sealed box? I shall add the tweet as well!

Thanks,
Wors
Old 24th December 2007, 06:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Decision made!I am going with the Pioneer BU20 and a Piezo ala Godzilla! Long live DIY!
Old 24th December 2007, 07:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WORS
Are you saying go bu20 in a sealed box?
I'm not telling you what driver to use, just that if the B20, then IMO it should be sealed if you use your existing cabs. This driver likes a much larger pipe alignment for vented.

GM
Old 25th December 2007, 01:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for helping out! BU20 it is and now the search starts for a tweeter.The dayton #275- 025 comes up in my searching as a better choice than the piezo. It is only rated for 10wrms which seems low as I fear after much beer it may get turned up!

Hide this!Advertise here!