1st timer building Fonken Floorstander MkII with Planet 10 FE127eN drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Hemp 5" in Fonkens

Estes said:
Does anyone have any experience using the Hemp 5" FR driver? Could it be used in the Fonken cabinet?

http://www.hemptonespeakers.com/

E-Speakers also has a Hemp 4.5"FR available.

http://www.e-speakers.com/Pdf/FR4.5C.pdf

I tried my Hemp Acoustics 4.5's in my Fonken boxes for a while. They sounded quite good, but lacked bass output because the boxes are too small. They need to be in a 20L box to perform properly.

Haven't seen or heard the Hemptones, although on paper they appear to work in a 13.5L Fonken box.

If e-speakers actually have any FR4.5's in stock, snag a pair before they are gone. IMHO they are seriously better than stock Fostex FE127's, but need to be in bigger boxes as previously stated. A floor standing box would work quite well for them.

Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DavidLS said:
Anyone have any comments on how the floorstanding fonkens sound compared to the standmounts? The floorstanders look like a more straightforward build than the original fonkens?

The regular Fonken has a bit more finese... but the FS (followed by the FS Mk II) are by far the easiest to build, and have the smallest footprint.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Hemp 5" in Fonkens

Estes said:
Does anyone have any experience using the Hemp 5" FR driver? Could it be used in the Fonken cabinet?

E-Speakers also has a Hemp 4.5"FR available.

I have Jeff's & my early FR4.5c for experimentation. I also supposedly have a current production coming (7 months so far waiting for replacement for a defective pair)

I have a h-Onken for it in the queue (as well as Fonkens for the FX120 & F120A), and i am going to see if a similar box works for the JX92S.

I've not seen the hemptone 5" but anecdotal reports have not been encorouging (unlike the quite different Omega driver which is supposedly quite excellent)

dave

I have the Hemptone 5" speakers. In their stock form they were disappointing to me. Although they sounded "pleasant", compared to the 4" TB Titaniums they sounded somewhat fuzzy, particularly noticeable on female voices. However, Enabling them made a great improvement. I put two coats of micro gloss(50% diluted) on on cones. Fuzziness is now gone. While the TB's still have a slight edge in clarity the Hemptones have sweeter, more musical presentation which to my ears gives them an overall edge over the TB's.

Re: Re: Hemp 5" in Fonkens

planet10 said:

I have a h-Onken for it in the queue (as well as Fonkens for the FX120 & F120A), and i am going to see if a similar box works for the JX92S.

Hi Dave,
I just PM'e you with regard to the h-onkens for a JX92S driver - I wanted to try some living room friendly enclosures & a friend has offered to build cabinets for my JX92S driverd while he is building his Fonkens. Instead of a GM MLTL design, I thought the onken could be an alternative.

Can you point me to a h-Onken design so I could get an idea of the dimensions?

Nice build, looks like exactly the same material on the inside as mine :)

cept I've just sanded and polyurethane the raw plywood, it's comming up ok, but 1 coat a week is slow going.. up to 5 coats now, might stop, but was aiming for 8. 5 will do with some beeswax.

you do the enabl'ing your self?

been thinking about doing that, but pretty hard to source the right stuff here in aussieland. So I just want to get em back together and do some more 'testing' :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.