1st timer building Fonken Floorstander MkII with Planet 10 FE127eN drivers - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2008, 08:38 PM   #31
LAL is offline LAL  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the Hemptone 5" speakers. In their stock form they were disappointing to me. Although they sounded "pleasant", compared to the 4" TB Titaniums they sounded somewhat fuzzy, particularly noticeable on female voices. However, Enabling them made a great improvement. I put two coats of micro gloss(50% diluted) on on cones. Fuzziness is now gone. While the TB's still have a slight edge in clarity the Hemptones have sweeter, more musical presentation which to my ears gives them an overall edge over the TB's.
Old 11th March 2008, 01:33 AM   #32
Akita is offline Akita  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hmmm.... I think this must be the reason why it sound a bit strange/ dull.
Old 24th March 2008, 10:47 PM   #33
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Default Re: Re: Hemp 5" in Fonkens

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

I have a h-Onken for it in the queue (as well as Fonkens for the FX120 & F120A), and i am going to see if a similar box works for the JX92S.
Hi Dave,
I just PM'e you with regard to the h-onkens for a JX92S driver - I wanted to try some living room friendly enclosures & a friend has offered to build cabinets for my JX92S driverd while he is building his Fonkens. Instead of a GM MLTL design, I thought the onken could be an alternative.

Can you point me to a h-Onken design so I could get an idea of the dimensions?
Old 24th April 2008, 07:25 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
Nice build, looks like exactly the same material on the inside as mine :-)

cept I've just sanded and polyurethane the raw plywood, it's comming up ok, but 1 coat a week is slow going.. up to 5 coats now, might stop, but was aiming for 8. 5 will do with some beeswax.

you do the enabl'ing your self?

been thinking about doing that, but pretty hard to source the right stuff here in aussieland. So I just want to get em back together and do some more 'testing' :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!