Hexagon Pioneer B20FU20 Enclosure - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2008, 10:03 AM   #121
Secips is offline Secips  United States
diyAudio Member

Add paraffin oil, pumice or rottenstone and a pad. Instead of 0000 steel wool. You are now "French Polishing." You just have to get the padding technique right. All the pores will be sealed and you will have a mirror finish. You can also save yourself some work by getting the commercially prepared "French Polishes" Concocting your own mixture of oil, shellac and denatured alcohol is the tricky part.

Don't sand your shellac off.
Old 14th January 2008, 11:25 AM   #122
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There is a design using an omni reflector on the German Hi-Fi Sound site here. The project isn't described on the English part of the site so you may have to go via Babel or Google for a translation - which is always entertaining in its own right!

The actual diffuser is described in more detail here.

Hope this provides some inspiration.
Old 14th January 2008, 12:06 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

I don't know if this will help, but when I did my omni project with diffuser/horns similar to the Duevel Venus, I created a cad drawing of the diffuser profile. I did it by finding the best examples I could in photos of their diffusers in profile, referenced them into the cad drawing and traced them. Then I scaled them to meet the size I wanted to use.

Attached is a pdf of that file. If it is the correct size for what you want, you can print it out at the pdf scale on an 8.5"x11" paper and it should scale at 1/4" = 1".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf venus_diffuser.pdf (19.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 14th January 2008, 01:36 PM   #124
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by John L

After I have sanded the base pieces, I will seal them with my good old shellac, and then paint them black.

Not sure what I should use. Any suggestions?

Tough break on the veneer, but the results look good.

Ideas on painting something black: I'm trying a different approach in this thread.
Probably won't suit you (doesn't involve shellac ), but a suggestion anyway.
Old 14th January 2008, 02:09 PM   #125
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Tough break on the veneer, but the results look good.

Ideas on painting something black: I'm trying a different approach in this thread.
Probably won't suit you (doesn't involve shellac ), but a suggestion anyway.
I like your approach. I am going to ask you a question you probably wrote about earlier, but I did not know your project existed until just now. How did you spray on your urathane sealer? Did you use a can or spray gun?

And I like what you have done there. It's a great idea.

In my case I will only be using the shellac as a sealer, before applying the paint. Can't make up my mind what I want to use. Using a laquer is so time consuming in that the surface must be perfect before application, and then the process of rubbing down the uneven build-up takes forever, it seems. There is a word for that uneven build up but I have forgotten off the top of my head.

What would you suggest?

PS: your project is stunning! I'll make a point of reading it from start to finish as soon as I can. I'll try to add to it in order to keep things lively there. Always pays to keep the thread going.
Old 14th January 2008, 04:20 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlneubec
Hi John,

I don't know if this will help, but when I did my omni project with diffuser/horns similar to the Duevel Venus, I created a cad drawing of the diffuser profile. I did it by finding the best examples I could in photos of their diffusers in profile, referenced them into the cad drawing and traced them. Then I scaled them to meet the size I wanted to use.

Attached is a pdf of that file. If it is the correct size for what you want, you can print it out at the pdf scale on an 8.5"x11" paper and it should scale at 1/4" = 1".
Dan, thanks so much for the PDF containing the diffuser drawing. Mine were pretty much like yours, with only one exception, which can possibly make a Real difference. With mine, the entire top half is curved in a convex shape. Since my day class on the lathe Saturday, I have realized that turning the concave surface is more than twice as easy, compared to the convex shape.

With your drawing, the upper section is pretty much a straight line, until it reaches the top, when it then becomes a convex shape. Your shape would be far easier to turn, I believe. I'll make up several blanks and when I attend my next class I will try both types. Fortunately, the bottom concave shape will be perfect for either style.

Again, thanks for the revelation. I appreciate it. Any more help is more than appreciated.
Old 14th January 2008, 04:27 PM   #127

Quote:

How did you spray on your urathane sealer? Did you use a can or spray gun?

What would you suggest?

Hi John,
Thanks for your kind comments.
On the main speakers I sprayed everything - with a real paint sprayer. Spray cans IMO are only useful for very small things.

With the centre speaker I'm currently working on, I'm trying a different method. I rolled on two coats of clear polyurethane as the sealer. MDF swells at the slightest hint of water, so putting my waterbased finish directly on it would have caused problems.

I can't say enough good things about the paint I'm using - it's fantastic. Tough as nails, fast drying, water clean-up, non toxic, the whole shebang. A little bit expensive, but well worth twice the price.
Old 14th January 2008, 04:33 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

I can't say enough good things about the paint I'm using - it's fantastic. Tough as nails, fast drying, water clean-up, non toxic, the whole shebang. A little bit expensive, but well worth twice the price.
Can you describe it more? I'm interested in the brand and type. A good roll on seems too good to be true. I've always had to spray on for a fine finish.
Old 14th January 2008, 04:54 PM   #129

Data sheet here. I talk about it a bit here.

Don't get me wrong, the results that are possible with a roller do not compare to a good spray finish. That I will be applying the paint then colour sanding is what will make it acceptable.
Old 14th January 2008, 05:40 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Dan, thanks so much for the PDF containing the diffuser drawing. Mine were pretty much like yours, with only one exception, which can possibly make a Real difference. With mine, the entire top half is curved in a convex shape. Since my day class on the lathe Saturday, I have realized that turning the concave surface is more than twice as easy, compared to the convex shape.

With your drawing, the upper section is pretty much a straight line, until it reaches the top, when it then becomes a convex shape. Your shape would be far easier to turn, I believe. I'll make up several blanks and when I attend my next class I will try both types. Fortunately, the bottom concave shape will be perfect for either style.

Again, thanks for the revelation. I appreciate it. Any more help is more than appreciated.
I'm not clear on what your plans are. Are you needing a top diffuser, or is it simply for looks? I included it because that was the shape and configuration used on the Venus, but I thought you were mounting the tweeter in the woofer center so it was up firing into the concave cone.

I tested the convex top diffuser (Venus) shape with a Seas27TDFC, downfiring and it had a terrible measured response. I have had much better looking frequency response results from the concave cone shapes and would recommend that profile over a convex curved surface for tweeters as wel as mids or woofers, based upon my testing.

Hide this!Advertise here!