My Sachiko Build Process

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all.. many, many thanks and props to Scott and the gents over at Frugal. I ahve asked a lot of questions, and he has been very helpful.

I wanted to build some new full ranges for my living room. I have already completed some decware designs and wanted to try something new. i found, and fell in love with the Sachiko design. I thought they would compliment the existing furniture in the room so i decided to dive in.. yea, my wife might have rolled her eyes a little when i told her and showed her the designs, but she WILL come around...

Anyway. They are about 1/2 way done now, and I thought i would post some photos up here for you all to see.

Thanks again to Scott and everyone else on these boards. I love reading everything and seeing everything you all have posted. i only hope to contribute in some small way back.

I would love to hear any feedback you might have.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/DSC_3840.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/Picture002.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/DSC_3842.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/DSC_3841.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/DSC_3834.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/Picture005.jpg

Thanks.. Yea, working outside in the snow isn't too bad.. (for short periods of time.) Yea, the Decware boxes have AN standard 8's in them. Those were my first builds, so i have nothing to really hold them against. I am planning on Fostex drivers for the Sachiko's.

Hello Jeremy, I completed my Sachiko's 3 days ago and am pleased to say I am delighted by their sound so far. I "broke" my Fostex drivers in using some old KEF Concerto boxes whilst building, and even so, there was some ongoing improvement in sound for the first few hours in the new enclosures. 300B, Shanling cdt100 with western electric 396a tubes. CAT5 cable. Music varies from Mozart piano to Flaming Lips to Eva Cassidy,Neil Young,Pink Floyd,Good Charlotte, so is very varied.
Sound is simply excellent, with musicality, tonality, soundstage to die for. Imaging is 3 dimensional and very lifelike. Bass is tight, punchy and tuneful with plenty of depth. As expected the midrange is fantastic. I heard new things on each of the albums I have listened to. I did not think this would be possible! I have them standing about 3m apart and 50cm from rear wall and 1.5m from corners, very similar to where my previous VAF DCX's stood. They are heavy and so have yet to play around with placement- will take a month or two for my back to recover from carrying them up the stairs from the workshop!
I used high density chipboard (yellow tongue floorboard) as this was only my second attempt at building a speaker enclosure, and really did not wish to stuff up 19mm marine ply sheets at their substantially higher cost (Birch is like Platinum dust in this part of the world!). Cabinets are accurate and glued with no gaps etc, inside finish is smooth and sealed, the outside I am not too sure about, their imposing size makes me think I will use a light coloured final finish. I am very happy to say that I am ecstatic at the outcome of this project, well done Scottmoose and all others involved in this design.

Getting the internal parts in was a bit difficult/fiddly( I think a CNC router and this process could be much simpler and more accurate!).
I urge you to not judge these speakers until your drivers have had some run in time, my drivers sounded simply quite horrible when I first listened to them in the converted Concerto cabinets, but started to become a bit more musical after a couple of hours, and have improved since, I suppose they have probably run in completely by now, at a guess about 40-50 hours. I have some photos of the build process(got a bit slack after initial good intention to photograph the whole process) in various locations, and will post them soon.

HCB said:
Cabinets are accurate and glued with no gaps etc, inside finish is smooth and sealed, the outside I am not too sure about, their imposing size makes me think I will use a light coloured final finish.

Seal them, take them to a panel beater and paint them gloss black. Listen to "Thus Spake Zarathustra" at full blast.
No matter what you do you can't hide that elephant in your living room, so you may as well paint it's toenails red and make jokes about it.

Aaaaarrggghhh. try again...

Attachments

• dscn2902.jpg
    dscn2902.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,999
Hello,

looks good,

are there measurements available,
specially from the mouth and an imp.

Is there no problem with the mids?
look this link:
part 9: Fe206E aktualisiert neu
http://www.joern-hohmann.de/
compare the Fostex with the
selbstbau measurements of the FE206E,

Therefor it would be helpful to take a measurement,
to see what happens in the mids.

Is for this horn any measurement available,
from the constructor, i found only poor simulations.

Indeed they are poor Horst. Unfortunately, though the existing MathCad software can handle a horn & air cavity, it does not take the effect of the folding scheme into account (no software does AFAIK). The folding is very deliberate -it wasn't a case of simply trying to pack the horn into a given box: it's a part of the design, based on Olson's work -see his seminal text Dynamical Analogies if you're interested. It works in a couple of ways, the most significant being that the multiple bends in the first part of the expansion attenuates those higher frequencies the air-cavity does not filter off, both from passing through in the first place (as you know, HF hates sharp bends), and also preventing standing waves at the mouths from being reflected all the way back along the path & modulating the driver. There are several other elements to it as well -again, it's a case of a little latteral thinking though as it doesn't involve horn theory.

All of this because I don't like too much damping in a cabinet... I must be mad... ;)

Anyway, the cabinet in practice should actually have little effect on the response above 300Hz & needs little damping. I'll leave comments on the sound up to people who've built them, though Derek noted their smoothness (it was nice to get that confirmation).

Hopefully someone will be able to measure a pair at some point. Word of advance warning: this one won't be an easy box because you have to measure the total response (it's a single horn bifurcated. I'm working up a curved front as an option for it -that one will be easier to measure in practice due to the focusing of the wavefront on a specific point).

Hope that helps (& best regards for a happy new year to you all)
Scott

And my experience & physics tells me they only have what I designed into them. I work within physical principles which last I checked, don't have a habit of changing. If you want to investigate the physics, I've pointed you in the right direction. If you don't want to investigate it, equally, that's up to you. :)

Actually, while we're discussing this issue, & just to throw a complete spanner in the works, I remember Terry Cain commenting on a conversation he had with Dr Bruce Edgar about gain a few years back. The latter was apparantly chuckling somewhat about concerns over gain. His take was that it doesn't matter -gain is gain. Just goes to show how many different views there are around.

My 2 cents

I'll weigh in since I'm one of the few who has built and lived with the Sachiko for many months.
One also doesn't buy a Porsche looking at the specs on paper only. One takes it for a test drive. Reading about a Porsche and taking one for a drive are two different experiences. Climbing in, noticing the attention to detail and craftsmanship, wrapping your hands around the steering wheel, smelling the German car smell, turning the key, carving turns... the specs. are quickly forgotten and the whole experience overwhelms you. I've driven a Porsche and owned a BMW 325 for several years.
The Sachiko is among the finest sounding cabinets I've ever experienced and well worth the effort to build. I found them to be quite smooth and extremely dynamic. You forget about specs and measurements and are transported into the music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.