Olivia Chang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pardon mua, but I can be thick at times

As I review all the choices and plans for the 4" Hemptones that are winging their way to me, I have wondered about these designs and their "inards." I know what to do with sealed and simple single port reflex boxes. In the past I have secreted gallons of roofing tar into a box. I have used nets to keep the blown house insulation out of the way. I have used fiber glass batting and even looked like a mad man pulling and picking apart wool into a mountain of fluff.

But standing waves, if I understand, in these horns is not the big issue. The issue is cabinet resonence. Using a layer of cork or a layer of wool carpet underlay is appealing to me because it is cut and fixed. The stuffing and unstuffing is something I can live without.

I stand to be corrected on the this. But while I am schooled, I wonder if the cork or wool carpet underlay changes the dimensions and therefore the dynamics of these horns. Is this accounted for when 3/4" material is specified? Is the addition of this glaze insignificant in what is a robust design?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To be pedantic, these aren't horns, they are bass reflec with a long horn loaded port (ie BVR).

Treat the damping as you would any bass reflex.

Roofing tar is not what i'd use on the inside of a cabinet... it increases mass without increasing stiffness, lowering the panel resonance frequency making them more likely to get excited.

dave

Pedenrty

David,

One man's pedantry is another man's complete answer. Thank you.

The tar is from back in my college days when heavy="most excellent, man."

But what about the issue of adjusting the wall and baffle thickness to account for the added cork or wool? I now understand that these are reflex and not horns. But flared ports seem simple indeed compared to these ports. Love those stepped deflectors, but yes I see the distinction, the guts are different. Does adding surface damping in these boxes make the cabinet volume smaller in a way that should be adjusted for?

And while I am at it, would a somewhat harder surface cork sound different than a softer wool. I imagine that the cork is a faster surface. If people are hearing substantive differences with patterned tape enabled surfaces this is a difference worth discussing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.