Good starter design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2007, 03:10 PM   #1
jmar is offline jmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Good starter design

I had NO IDEA there was a forum dedicated to full range speaker systems!

I have, for a long time, wanted to experiment more with full range speakers because some years ago I built a couple of near field monitors (just something I threw together in a sealed cube) and they absolutely blew me away every time I heard them.

I think the drivers were a 4" Pioneer that I got from MCM.

Anyway, could you good folks lead me to a nice little tower project that will renew my interest and get me "hooked" ?

I only ask because it's so fatiguing sorting through all of the posts.

Something using a currently available driver that is a popular design?

I guess line arrays may be less popular? -- I see a lot of single driver designs.

With the subwoofer I built a few years back I'm anxious to put something together.

Something to be said for these little "no crossover - in phase" speakers.
Old 13th December 2007, 03:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

More info please - how big is your room? What amp will be used? What kind of music do you play and how loudly? What's your budget?
Old 13th December 2007, 03:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Try this one. I'm building it myself.

This one looks just interesting enough to do. I'm using the Tang Band driver(to bad they aren't still on sale.)

Delsol- inexpensive full range bookshelf.
Old 13th December 2007, 04:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You're fortunate that there are many good designs! The problem is to figure out what will work well for you. I built a pair of Metronomes w/ Fostex FE108e Sigma drivers last summer. You can check out my results under the thread "My Metronome Experience" right here. The Mets have a very high WAF (if that is significant for you.) Bass extension is good; imaging & sound stage are excellent. They produce plenty of volume for my room, which is 13.5' x 17'.

I am currently build a pair of Half Changs w/ Fostex FE206e drivers for my daughter and son-in-law. Mids and highs may not be quite as sweet, but they have more bass extension and can fill a larger room w/ lots of quality sound.

Note that both need baffle step correction (BSC) to reach their full potential. Another expense, but worth every penny IMO. (Some folks don't like BSC, but I swear by it.)

Cheers, Jim
Old 13th December 2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
The BiB, for sure. I'm about done with a pair for a friend of mine, though mine are a bit shorter than optimal and the mouth is at the floor in the rear instead of upfiring like it should be. gychang built a pair for these drivers initially, using the dimensions suggested by Scottmoose. Insane bass from these little drivers, very pleasant character, and though the cabs are big, their footprint is smaller than alot of floorstanders I've seen.

Kensai
Old 13th December 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
BIB and underwear, nothing on top

That's the thread where gychang presented them to us. I don't think those dimensions are considered optimal anymore, though its obvious that the little Pioneer can handle the tuning length of 120". There's an Excel sheet floating around somewhere that you can use to calc a BiB enclosure. Problem is, there are the published specs of Qts .352 and Vas 8.78 l, and then there are some very recent DIYer measured specs of Qts .578 and Vas of 3.43 l, so things are widely variable there. The ones I've made are only about 102" long, the enclosure volume lays between the calculations for the two different sets of specs, and the mouth is probably a touch too large for even the larger of the two, but I'm getting solid to 50Hz, a clear and audible 20Hz test tone, and a huge, spacious presentation, all from a pair of 4.5" drivers that cost me $20 total.

Kensai
Old 13th December 2007, 06:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Needles

Cyburg's Needles are simple, cheap and versatile in driver choice. Sound good too. For a renewed FR experience they are an excellent choice.
Old 13th December 2007, 06:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

For ease of construction I'd suggest the FE127e in the recommended GM designed MLTL.

The pair of FE127E I got years ago is a 4" not too cheap driver that
(after experimenting with some Tangband 3") is the minimum for good sound at moderate volumes. But at $40 each the FE127 is not too expensive either. I've done various builds since just using the same pair and testing the results since purchase..

Godzilla uses this design with a slot port in the front. I used the bottom firing design similar to one made for a driver much more expensive. The build was made from particle board shelving trimmed to size. A few tools like a hole cutter are necessary. A router and a few bits are needed for chamfering and rabbetting to recess and flush
a driver mount.
Old 13th December 2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default some ideas....

Metronomes and Milevas.

I heard FE127 Mets this past summer and they are excellent and pretty east to built. Very "cute", and therefore high "SOAF".

Milevas are similar but more traditional in construction. again very high "SOAF"

Both worked well enough outside if memory serves me correctly.

The Fonkens (but need two per side for tower use) are a little more complicated to build, but with excellent results as well in my 12'X19' living room driven by a T-amp.

I guess I'm "pro" planet10...sorry for the bias.

and then.. there are other types: MLTL, TQWP, bass reflex, horns etc. Zaph, Zillaspeak, Scottmoose, GM , and of course MJ King (MJK here), Tony Glee, etc all have great designs. You'd have to do an Internet search for all their pages, but worth the exploration.Or look up the DIY list
here

hope it helps,

stew
Old 14th December 2007, 11:58 AM   #10
jmar is offline jmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Great -- thanks very much. I'll look at all of those this weekend.

The room is pretty small and I'd like to get in the habit of listening at lower volumes (if I can kick my habit of a bottle of wine along with my music). (Unlikely)

Perhaps a nice low power class A amp to go with the speakers as well?

I was wondering also about some other unconventional designs using multiple drivers?

Anything ever done along the lines of direct/reflecting enclosures like the (gag) Bose 901 etc. They suck, of course, but one driver facing and maybe 2 rear would be a nice experiment?

And for my education -- what are the problems with multiple full range drivers on the front baffle? Problems with dispersion characteristics or something isn't it?

Hide this!Advertise here!