Undoing wood glue...advice needed :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yup, I screwed up. Tried to rush putting on the finished baffle for one of the BIB's before I left home the last time, didn't come out right at all. Now I've got a 3/4" baffle that refuses to come off, the glue (Titebond, PVA stuff) has pretty much cured. I've tried heating the baffle with a heat gun, but maybe I just wasn't waiting long enough or it wasn't working.

What would you guys recommend for loosening a glued-on baffle? Maybe an iron would work? :xeye: Thinking the steam might do something...what about soaking down the top baffle with water and then heating it?

Thanks in advance.

How about sawing off the sides, right up against the baffle with one of those flexible pull saws for cutting dowels flush? It would be slow as heck, but you'd only lose a kerf thickness worth of cab volume. I suppose you could use a table saw, but the kerf is more than twice as wide.

PVA glues will come loose with heat, but you need appx 80+ deg C in order for this to work. The pallet knife idea is good - or any thin blunt knife. You can also try heating the blade with a heat gun, and use small wedges - or nails - to keep the seam open as you go along

kmj said:
Take one of these and use a hammer or mallet to drive it between the box and baffle and then do than all the way around. Thats how I removed the one I glued wrong a few months ago.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You would have to be very very careful using this tool, if you don't want to damage the cabinet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.