Fostex ~ ping planet10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
otto88 said:
[Bwhile I'm sure a Fonken or Frugel-horn would be best, I want only a simple construction, so it will have to be a sealed/ BR or aperiodic.

I've looked at the fostex range, and can't help thinking that for my musical tastes (extending to Zeppelin, garage rock) with a lot of energy in the range 80 - 500 Hz) whether a 6.5" would be better, ie the 166.
[/B]

A very easy build would be FE167E in 15 litre vented box tuned to 60Hz. Flat to 100Hz, f3 at 66Hz and -9dB at 50Hz. Would play very loud paired with a sub.

Didn't see any mention of your room size.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff
The room is large in total, L shaped with a hall off it.
the main part is 4.5 * 6 m (15 * 20'), with a room off it 4 * 3 m (13 * 10'), and a hall 5 *1.5 m (16*4').
the ceilings are 3.0 m, 10 feet.

So a 167 will do it :up:

dave,
if the 167's are unobtainum for a while, that's ok. I'll wait for the right driver

Thanks

I can see that my comments are slightly misunderstood.

It isn't that you need to be "careful" with an EnABL'd driver, AT ALL.

The back EMF is substantially reduced, the cone breakup modes that destroy cone and distort voice coil are gone, the ear shattering screeches and sour transients never occur. The 107 dB will not present a problem.

My previous system had, low mid, hi mid, dome, ribbon, hi mid, low mid stacks, on top of 15" in sub chassis. A 110 dB peak was quite within the reach of these things, when driven with a 700 watt Phase Linear.

Unfortunately, the sound was so unstressed, even at these peaks, with 103 dB as a general mean level, that it did not occur to me to worry about those Vifa 6.5" mid drivers, until I looked up, half way through Carmena Burana, to see four red rings, in the dark, where I knew those drivers to be. Playing these inexpensive drivers at that level seemed quite normal until that moment. Really was no indication of a problem. I had to replace them and borrow some test gear to actually find out what sort of abuse I had heaped upon them.

So, please don't think that you "need to baby" these speakers. Loud is well within the reach of even the Fe 126/7 speakers. Just that you have to be aware that the sound quality, at these levels is not going to signal distress.

Plus, 107 dB is so loud that you will be mentally stunned, by being in the same room, even the same theater with an SPL like that. Unfortunately, your response will be, to turn it up.....

Bud

FYI my room is also L shaped, 17' x 14' and the L is 9' x 15', with 8' ceilings.

My FE127 based Fonkens (EnABL'd and phase plugged) will play stinkin' loud in this room with 50W x 50W tube power. I don't have a meter to measure spl levels unfortunately.

Jeff

Edit: Before I EnABL'd the drivers, the dogs would leave the room at high volume levels. Now they don't seem to be bothered at all by loud music even from the CD player at high levels.

Bud

I apologize that I appeared to suggest that EnABL'd drivers need to be treated with more caution. My post was not in the right sequence, I was trying to get an appropriate sense of caution with the smaller Fostexs crossed at 100 Hz at elevated levels with 105 dB peaks.

I quote 105 dB as we had a party where my wife cranked it up and I measured 100 dB peaks. I found it too loud and left the room, tho it was her choice of music. (The Newfoundland dog was planked in the middle of the dance floor). ;)

Every few months I listen for maybe 15 mins at 100 dB peaks with my favorite music; I say 105 dB to have a margin of safety.

Thinking about Scott's reminder that its better to have stereo down < 100 Hz, and Ive a spare pair of Peerless 10s which are pretty good up to c 1 kHz (will just fit the room), that opens the options up.

Dave,
You mentioned you like the treated FF85k most, with an xo about 500/600 Hz & 105 dB peaks would your choice still hold?
. . when (will) there be a P10 FF85k eN?

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
otto88 said:
You mentioned you like the treated FF85k most, with an xo about 500/600 Hz & 105 dB peaks would your choice still hold?
. . when (will) there be a P10 FF85k eN?

We really need more time with these to answer that question -- it is showing amazing potential. Whether there will be an FF85K-rN depends on how well the µFonken works out, and customer demand. If they become more than a curiousity the price will not be that much less than the 126/127eN

dave

May I just say that the one problem I have found with my EnABLed drivers is volume control, you dont realise how LOUD it is untill you either try to talk to the person next to you, and have to lip read, or the old dear from next door demolishes you door with a broom, there is no rise in distorsion to give you a warning.
Great fun though.:)

Marce,

Back when I had Ohm F's and sub woofers, driven by custom SAE germanium transistor amps and pre amp, with a Decca Mk 5 and Rabco ST4, on lever suspension wall mount, I played the London recording of the 1812 with live cannons. Turned it up, after opening the windows in the sun/music room and walked out of the house and down the street, to loiter. The cannons went off. I was a half block away, and even so, I was still startled. A number of locals came out to see what was up.

I strolled back to the house and walked into the room, as the second salvo was going off. Didn't really sound all that loud in the room. I had played it louder at other times!

I did begin to heed my wifes comments about disturbing the neighbors. In fact, I no longer own a system with that level of acoustic power, though it is inching in that direction again. I no longer live there either, having moved a couple of thousand miles west.

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.