Fostex ~ ping planet10 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2007, 08:06 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb
Dave's observations on the FF85K(eN) are based on a brief listen on temporary, tiny OB's, (drivers rear mounted on 1/2" MDF and chamfered on the front side)
Which reminds me... FW227

dave
Old 13th December 2007, 08:09 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
500Hz if you want go loud & want to keep the Fostex's excursion down.
500 Hz-1k seems to be the best region to XO if you have to do something in the telephone band (considering an informal survey of historically significant 2-way systems)

This Jordan system gives some insight in some tricks to deal with BS.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/rune/index.html

dave
Old 13th December 2007, 08:20 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Makes sense to me. If power-handling is a requirement, then most power / current needs are below 500Hz, so it's probably the least-evil point in the midband to have one.
Old 14th December 2007, 01:43 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the concern about my hearing, 95 dB continuous is *not my normal listening levels. just when the wife is out, the album is a fave, etc, or when we have a party.

(I don't listen much to vocals , I tune into percussion/ lead guitar/ organ, so XO outside the vocal range isn't a priority)

I hadn't known by how much the power handling ability rises if their XO is raised to 500 Hz or above..
So the low Fostex power ratings reflect how low the drivers are being used, for their magnet size, xmax etc
If the FF85K/ 126e are crossed at say 1000, they could handle 50 watts rms?

I've only had time for the odd look at EnABL, but seems very promising . .
Old 14th December 2007, 04:34 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by otto88
I hadn't known by how much the power handling ability rises if their XO is raised to 500 Hz or above..
So the low Fostex power ratings reflect how low the drivers are being used, for their magnet size, xmax etc
If the FF85K/ 126e are crossed at say 1000, they could handle 50 watts rms?
Look at it this way... what would be the power handling of your tweeters be if you ran them full-range?

Power handling is a pretty irrelevant spec... i pay little attention to it.

dave
Old 14th December 2007, 06:17 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Getting full benefit of EnABL

Dave

I'm now thinking if I pay the cost of Fostexs with EnABL, then skip (sell) the Seas midwoofs, and simply cross to a really good active sub I have at 100 Hz (the highest the active xo goes).

If I now want Fostex with EnABL, over 100 Hz 10 k, which Fostex?
Old 14th December 2007, 06:52 AM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Getting full benefit of EnABL

Quote:
f I now want Fostex with EnABL, over 100 Hz 10 k, which Fostex?
126 or 127... depending on what box you put them in.

dave
Old 14th December 2007, 10:45 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Sounds favourite. I'm thinking Fonkens or Frugel-horns here.

As Dave points out, power handling as a measure is pretty useless -it tends to be what the driver will take as a maximum before it disintegrates, and does not account for the different requirements as frequency varies. You're basically correct though -the lower you go, typically the more power / current is required as the driver has to work harder -especially as this zone is where the majority of energy put out by, say, an orchestra or rock-group is concentrated.

FWIW, if you go with a 100Hz XO, I'd suggest one LF driver per channel rather than a single one, as anything over ~70Hz becomes increasingly directional
Old 14th December 2007, 04:52 PM   #29
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Getting full benefit of EnABL

Quote:
Dave

I'm now thinking if I pay the cost of Fostexs with EnABL, then skip (sell) the Seas midwoofs, and simply cross to a really good active sub I have at 100 Hz (the highest the active xo goes).

If I now want Fostex with EnABL, over 100 Hz 10 k, which Fostex?

Next question for the inveterate DIYer of course would be: candidates for physically small, high performance powered (sub)woofer?

the nominations are open

My personal recommendation for max SPL sensitivity would be:

FE126eN in the Brynn cabinet, with one powered woofer per side. The new CSS SDX7 would be a great candidate. This latest version of the XDBL Extremis design is quite a sexy little beast, although of course it strictly adheres to the sensitivity penalty inherent in Hoffman's Iron Law.
(Dave, got any pictures to publish yet)

Either PLLXO for the FE126eN with conventional style plate amps (i.e. unless you're confident in the quality of the HP filter section of the plate amps, avoid them at all costs with drivers of this quality) or full blown outboard XO and stereo or mono blocks for the subs.

With the Brynn's wide baffle configuration and powered subs in this system, it's probably fair to say that BSC would be the least of your worries - it should certainly be able to rock at 95dB+ for longer than your ears should be subjected.

Note to any builders of Brynn - if you plan on experimenting with different drivers in this cabinet, be aware that the depth of magnet structure varies among the Fostex candidates. (FE126, 127 and FF125K) If you cut the driver magnet brace for the deepest magnet of this group (FE127), you can pad the back of the others with dense PSA felt pads to retain coupling.

Now, for slightly lower sensitivity, but I dare say smoother midrange, more finesse in the lower mid bass octave before XO to powered sub, and superior imaging/ depth of soundstage, the "standard" Fonken with FE127eN and powered SDX-7 per side. It wouldn't be much of a challenge to extend the dimensions of the standard Fonken box to the floor to accommodate for separate woofer/amp enclosure, or simply build a separate cabinet as sub& stand. Same caveats apply re amplification & HP filters to the Fostex drivers.
Old 14th December 2007, 06:19 PM   #30
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK, for those who might care, a quick check of some dimensioned drawings: the SDX7 can certainly be fit in a box the same width as the standard beveled Fonken ( i.e. ~220mm), but finding a plate amp to fit is the biggest challenge.

One candidate if you don't mind turning it sideways (not my first aesthetic choice) would be the BASH 300S

Hide this!Advertise here!