Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2007, 09:21 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Keep in mind guys that medical research indicates that anything over 85db continuous over an extended period is going to cause permanent hearing damage.
My 5 W amp, FE127s in my largish room (~320 m^3) play plenty loud for me most of the time.

dave
Old 13th December 2007, 09:31 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Keep in mind guys that medical research indicates that anything over 85db continuous over an extended period is going to cause permanent hearing damage.

pardon?
Old 13th December 2007, 09:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Otto, out of curiosity what are you listening to? from 1k - 10k are you planning to use them with any bass speaker/sub. Richard.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:11 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

sm,

the midwoofers will most likely be some Seas mag cone s that I came across 2nd hand. I want to cross comfortably below breakup, and in a wide open space have no 'hint' of beaming

Thanks
Old 13th December 2007, 11:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Sorry about the ASCII asterisks > gaelic (used not to happen(?))

If all of the FF85k/ FE103/ FE126e/ FE127e, Mark Audio J6, and 50 mm Jordan (any JX53 left?) will handle 100 dB peaks (not for extended sessions), which would you go for over 1 - 10 kHz?

Thanks
Old 13th December 2007, 11:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vitalstates
pardon?
I knew I should get the ears syringed.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I'd probably go for the 85 or 126 of those chosen. Alternatively, just go straight to a compression unit & have done with it, preferably one that can be XO'd at 500Hz, and will go to a minimum of 4Khz & ideally an octave above.
Old 13th December 2007, 05:14 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by otto88
f all of the FF85k/ FE103/ FE126e/ FE127e, Mark Audio J6, and 50 mm Jordan (any JX53 left?) will handle 100 dB peaks (not for extended sessions), which would you go for over 1 - 10 kHz?
I've not heard the Mark Audio (uses tooling they made to make Jordans before the Swedes funded Ted's retirement) or the Jordans. I'd go for the FF85 (do keep in mind all my opinions are based on treated drivers). The rated power handling & level capability is for FR use -- it has to go up considerably if you XO them at 1k.

dave
Old 13th December 2007, 06:39 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

I've not heard the Mark Audio (uses tooling they made to make Jordans before the Swedes funded Ted's retirement) or the Jordans. I'd go for the FF85 (do keep in mind all my opinions are based on treated drivers). The rated power handling & level capability is for FR use -- it has to go up considerably if you XO them at 1k.

dave

Dave's observations on the FF85K(eN) are based on a brief listen on temporary, tiny OB's, (drivers rear mounted on 1/2" MDF and chamfered on the front side)

No bass at all of course, but stunningly clear and dynamic mids to top, and quite decent soundstage as well. My impression so far, from more extensive listening, is that they do such a nice job on vocals (even male - Kevin Mahogany/Jim Byrnes/Union Station) that it would be a shame to XO them anywhere between 200 and 6000.

Frankly, with my middle-aged hearing loss, tweeters would seem pointless- they certainly give nothing up to the FE126 in that regard. The big question would be how low to XO them, i.e. whether single "sub" or dual woofers. It's probably no surprise that we're playing around with that at present, but nothing concrete to announce.

They've been so much fun that I haven't even dug out the SPL meter, but if I was to hazard a guess as to the levels at which I've been listening, it would be less than 90dB peaks.

95dB continuous at the listening position is pretty freeking loud, and as Scott notes, guarantees accelerated hearing damage - ask any industrial audiologist.
Old 13th December 2007, 06:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'd reckon twin woofers XO'd at ~200Hz should do nicely. 500Hz if you want go loud & want to keep the Fostex's excursion down.

Hide this!Advertise here!