+95db design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2007, 03:26 AM   #1
ecir38 is offline ecir38  United States
diyAudio Member

Default +95db design

I am looking at the Metronome Fostex FE207e but the BSC and zobel network drops the efficiency of the speaker. I am hoping to find a design in the +95db range. The Metronome Audio Nirvana 10" comes close. I noticed the Lowther's but they are out of my range. Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11th December 2007, 04:22 AM   #2
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Forgive the questions, but why the magic number,?

What does the math suggest (or in room measurements from actual builds) indicate the net sensitivity would be with the BSC & Zobels?

95dB real world SPL is pretty freaking loud.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
ecir38 is offline ecir38  United States
diyAudio Member

I will be driving them with a 5 to 6 watt SET DHT. I am basing my needs off of reading this http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.../faq/sets.html and the loudspeakers section here http://www.welbornelabs.com/etmreview.htm

Right now I am using a set of Tannoy Sytem 800 http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...ystem+800&s=40 that have a sensitivity of 92db and am not really happy with them. They sound good but distort at higher level when the amp starts to run out.

For the price I will probably build the fonken and see how I like them then go from there.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You have to rely on bigger surfaces for fulfilling your target spec. Your 10'' Audio Nirvana suggestion is a good path with excellent value for money.
Old 11th December 2007, 02:24 PM   #5
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default 98dB

Hello,

my SAXOPHON will match:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saxophonmess 002kl.da.jpg (19.1 KB, 1234 views)
Old 11th December 2007, 03:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you're really looking for the sensitivity, one nice thing about FR designs is that you can do whatever filtering (BSC, zoebel, notch, whatever) actively, but you don't need more amps. It'd take a little more work but it would save the sensitivity, right?

There are resources on the net for doing this sort of thing. I haven't tried to build an active analog circuit to do it, but I am running a convolution filter on the computer I use as a source. Sounds much nicer than the basic speaker-level notch filter I built.
Old 11th December 2007, 10:00 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

With a big woofer and the Fe207e on a wide baffle you dont need BSC
Old 11th December 2007, 10:13 PM   #8
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default not REALLY needed.

I think if you read into the comments on the Welbourne site, the suggestion is
95 dB + for multiway speakers. Anytime a single driver using no circuits at all (unless passive), can be employed, 92 dB should sound "as loud" as a 95dB multiway--FRs are not as reactive as crossover'd, BSC'd, Zobel'd, and present a very easy load. Consider the Decware 84C amp, 2 watts/channel. My head-banging bro is using some of planet 10's modified FE167 drivers in a ported box. They play plenty loud enough for him, in a 15' X 20' room.
Old 11th December 2007, 10:15 PM   #9
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
With a big woofer and the Fe207e on a wide baffle you dont need BSC

Not as much of a conversation piece as the 'nomes, but certainly not requiring BSC with the 207, would be the Demetri.

If you really think it needs a tweeter, the FT17H and a simple 1st order hi-pass filter around 8-10K(or to taste) & L-pad would be a good starting point.

And if you haven't already purchased drivers, and still consider every dB of sensitivity important, then the FF225K should be on your short list as well.

Old 11th December 2007, 10:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

>>> the FF225K should be on your short list as well.

That driver in a BIB is supposed to sound tremendous! I would consider that plus a powerful powered sub for a high eff speaker system. Add a helper tweeter of choice and you should have a wonderful system (with or without the sub).

Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!