+95db design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
vitalstates said:
I've wondered how they(super 12s) might fair in an OB. I've thought many times in the past how they remind me of Hawthorns, but i imagine without the figures its down to some brave soul to actually try it.

FWIW, based on my recollection of exposure to both of the Super12s and SI15's (although never in direct comparison), the Hawthorne is a much more well integrated and musical design. i.e. it's far easier to forget they're there and just enjoy the music. For me that was never possible with the Super12's, but as always YMMV.

The only thing they share in common is the OEM source of the bass driver portion - Eminence.

Scottmoose said:
I suppose this is going to end up as the thread where we ask just how well it can play The Prodigy or Massive Attack cranked up to 11, without audibly distorting? :spin:

Oh dear. My repressed head-banging side is emerging again. I love Loreena. I like the Gosford Park soundtrack. But sometimes, these things have to be done.:devilr:

I use bands like Samael, Iced Earth, or Bal Sagoth for music comparisons. Call me wierd, but it always seems to work. some drivers/amps might play nice with nice music, but can they take a metal attack? :devilr:

-Jared

ecir38 said:
I'm not a headbanger and never heard of any of those bands. I would think though that if you have a setup that can handle them that it would play all music enjoyably.

Definitely sounds like the crazy logic I use. I figure any music that you know intimately (which happens to be those bands for me) is a good test. Opeth is a great band for testing both heavy and non-heavy abilities, with their swings from growly vocals to beautiful acoustic bits.

I know that tubes really like to mess with my metal, and usually, I really like it. :cool:

-Jared*

*(loves single ended triodes and anything synthy or overdriven)

>>> I still say nothing in the FR driver world can really handle it solo without dynamic compression. Best with a couple of 15in woofers per channel & added supertweeters. Still, a 208ESigma with supertweeter in a pipe-horn wouldn't make a bad fist of it.

Something that makes DIY interesting to me is the unlimited experimentation. Add that to forums like this and ideas begin to accumulate both good and bad. Over time amazing things happen. Not long ago we were building small ported boxes that sounded great but were limited at the extremes. Fullrange Fanatics like us realized the good sonic qualities and recognized the bad. Folks who dislike full range designs for their low power handling and lack of extension at the extremes continue to talk trash as we listened to our - AM radio - speakers. As we evolve and improve things with back horn designs and helper tweeters we refuse to stand still. Experimenting with intelligently chosen multiple 15 inch woofers on open baffles and other neat concepts, one day speakers based on fullrange drivers may become not only one of the best ways to reproduce music but also considered high power handling designs. The ideas are already there and many have already built designs like this. Time and experimentation will further improve things as we collectively experiment, improve and discuss what we hear. Until then, I always chuckle to myself when listening to sub $100 speakers (connected to sub $100 amplification) that just sound so nice in my office and sub $300 speakers at home that no doubt rival commercial speakers selling for thousands. It’s the way these systems sound that motivates us rather than the measurements many of the other speaker builder forums swoon over. Let them revel over measurements as we continue to enjoy the sound of our fullrange creations. Many years from now when they realize crossovers are inherently bad for sound reproduction we can smile and say – I told you so. Not so much to gloat, but just to say it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
one day speakers based on fullrange drivers may become not only one of the best ways to reproduce music

It was this thought in mind, that despite some serious multi-way designs, most reports from the recent Burning Amp that referred to speakers talked about the BOFU BOBs and the Hemp Mets (and not with the "for the money" note, but on absolute merit), and that at the UK fest the Jordans got disproportional mention (mostly from multiway guys who said how gob-smacked they were that a 4" driver could do what it does) -- next year some of the NE Fostex boys should be there with EnABL supported boxes.

dave

I'm working on my Zen-like calm, but come Sunday, the A11 BiBs are going to their new homes, so I'm going to be reduced to headphones or or a pair of 4" Pioneer coax car units (with no existing enclosure) or maybe some Monsoon panels with no means of getting any bass. My mantra right now is, "I love my Grados. I love my Grados. I love my Grados."

Kensai

They used to come in blue? That would be totally sweet. A blue one with white or light grey patterns would look fantastic.

Anyway, no rush. I really do love my Grados (they are recently refurbed, after all), and I need something to push me to get those Monsoons mounted in 4 element arrays, anyway (anyone got any tips as to how?).

Kensai

AdamThorne said:
If you're really looking for the sensitivity, one nice thing about FR designs is that you can do whatever filtering (BSC, zoebel, notch, whatever) actively, but you don't need more amps. It'd take a little more work but it would save the sensitivity, right?
/B]

When you say "active", I would think that means an (pre)amplification stage with some filters.

Couldn't you just use a passive filter on amplifier input? That's assuming you knew the input impedance of the amp. Would some sort of passive L C R network before the amp work more efficiently than a passive network in the after amplification at the speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.