FE138ES-R - Dave, your dream came true...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Frank Harnbach said:
wow, the 138es-r looks cool.

why "Japan only"? do they not want to make money? :whazzat:

I guess they don't figure we are as crazy over hear (we may be a bit slower on the uptake, but i bet we can match them loon for loon)

Send your serious inquiries to adam at madisound. He gets enuff of them he may try to twist some arms -- they will besharing space with Fostex at CES.

dave

Hmmm, looks like it has the FF/F-style metal dust-cap; it does not seem to fit neatly and there are folks that don't care for the (artificially metallic?) sound of said caps. It would have been nice to see a sweet phase plug in there. Also, a mounting method that would facilitate easy attachment to a front horn / rear of a baffle; I think the bevelled driver frame makes this more difficult (could be wrong!).

OTOH, perhaps I can assume Fostex knew what they were trying to achieve and how 'best' to go about it... I just need to know whether: 1/ those assumptions are correct and 2/ do Fostex objectives align with my needs/wants? :)

A big cheers and merry Christmas to all on this forum - feel warm in the knowledge that you have contributed to a dangerous study diversion over the past year ;)

Raymond

Edits: added comment about mounting method.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rcdaniel said:
Hmmm, looks like it has the FF/F-style metal dust-cap; it does not seem to fit neatly and there are folks that don't care for the (artificially metallic?) sound of said caps.

I know the FF125 has some issues and i've seen complaints on the F200A, but the FF85 is quite stunning (althou the cap on this one might actually be phenolic/plastic). Clark had high praise for his FE208es-r which was the "development mule" for this driver.

dave

Only one way to find out I suspect.

Fostex certainly know what they're doing, but despite the heavyweight engineering, they're still (yes! even with the limited editions) in the business of making money, so there will be a natural limit on how much they want to spend making them. Some of the technology used however will have a trickle down effect (even if only indirect). There's always something that can be done to make improvements.

reasons

the reason I actually git the bullet and bought the 208ES-R is that I wanted a 45 tube capable full ranger that had screaming good high frequencies.

these ES-Rs have a pure magnesium dome in the middle.

I read up alot on the MG850 and listening closely to the t90AEX, I was happy with what fostex was doing with magnesium.

I have not been disappointed in the slightest with the HF performance (or any other aspect of performance, for that matter), of the 208ES-R. it is a heavy (but light), realistic, studio monitor like presentation that is utterly high speed. dissappearance was the reason I bought these drivers and I usually forget that they are even there.

again, reasons for the 208 was to get big driver dynamis matched with near perfect (as I see it) HF pres. a traditional impossibility, but not here.

the HF is somewhat beamy, but not as bad as a whizzer or a more aggressive cone curve would give. they are simply even and real. there is NO tissy whatsoever. most people that hear them simply thing they sound great. audiophiles that know a thing or two about traditional full range driver limitations simply do not stop shaking their heads, till they start nodding their heads.

I call them the death star. kindof like the 45 tube aesthetic that these mate well with. you have to concentrate to see the glow, the light at the end of the tunnel, otherwise things sound evil and perfect. tinkley and gangsta. the death star. I am not afraid of this contained darkness, but most americans would probably rather have something with more rounded edges and less literalism, to be sure.

it is trippy, otherworldly sound, and at the same time of this world.

It is a MIND screw, not an emotional sound necessarily.

the FF85K is also pretty breathtaking in detail level, but is not NEARLY as refined as the 208ES-R in that HF pres. I feel that the ff85K can be tailored likely with EnabLE though to match close.

I personally would love a pair of MG850 and some nice accuphase SS or something. similar effect as the 208ES-R/45tube but in a smaller space, smaller budget.

well, later y'all.

from Laos,

Clark

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: reasons

blumenco said:
the FF85K is also pretty breathtaking in detail level, but is not NEARLY as refined as the 208ES-R in that HF pres. I feel that the ff85K can be tailored likely with EnabLE though to match close.

i've never heard a stock FF85. All comments are based on FF85K-eN. BTW, we got those into the little µFonken boxes and are VERY pleased with them. The Keiga 2.1 amp leaves a lot to be desired thou.

dave

i did a google search and found a shop- http://item.rakuten.co.jp/audio/c/0000000361/
which seems to indicate that they are now available;

【即納! [Instant delivery! 】【限定生産品】FOSTEX FE-138ESR(1本) 13cmフルレンジユニット フォステクス FE138ESR [Products]] limited production 138ESR FOSTEX FE-13cm (1) FURURENJIYUNITTO FOSUTEKUSU FE138ESR
39,900円 税込、 送料込 39,900 yen tax included, shipping included

【楽天市場】国内スピーカー > FOSTEX:オーディオスクェア
- [ Translate this page ]
FOSTEX PM0.5SUB(1本) サブウーファー フォステックス 21839円 税込、 送料込, 【即納!】【限定生産品】FOSTEX FE-138ESR(1本) 13cmフルレンジユニット ...
item.rakuten.co.jp/audio/c/0000000361/ - 84k - Cached - Similar pages

anyone hear any new news about them from madisound?

planet10 said:

I fully expect this to be the best driver that Fostex has ever released to the public. What is that worth. It should be a couple orders of magnitude better than the 108.

dave

Thats what I was hoping for. I can't afford to be in the Feastrex crowd, but I could sure save my Loonies and Twoonies up for these if their worthy.. You gotta come up with something to do these proud Dave, if they sound as good as hoped... Dave:)