Why not much on Pioneer B20 MLTL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was talking to my dad this weekend about building up boxes for these. He is a pretty good wood worker and has most if not all tools and seems to like making jigs more than building the actual project. Over the last few years he has been building wood kayaks in his garage.

Anyways, he has a bunch of birch planks that he says he has no use for, so he said he would plane them down and rip them into 3/4" deep by ~2" wide with what ever length I need strips and then laminate them back together to form a solid board. Has anybody done this technique for a box before?

I trust what he's doing, because he never does anything wrong. He spent 5 years on the kayaks making sure that he was doing them right the first time and they turned out awesome. But is there any hints of forwarning that people may have about doing this?

>>> Whats that piece of wood you have glued on the front of your box Godzilla?

I added that as a decorative brace. Doesnt look too decorative but it works just the same. If i had room inside the box i would have braced it on the inside.

>>> There looks like there is some screw heads or something a little further out from the speaker.

Those are grill guides.

I like the B20 sound but it can be dull at times and the midrange is veiled in comparison to the Fostex drivers i have on hand. Bass is nice and full. Imagine a full sounding speaker with a subdued midrange and treble. The tweeter fixes the treble but the midrange quality remains. Phase plugs have been reported to change the sound for the better in the mids but i havn't tried them. The midrange may sound the way it does because of the dips. My sax playing friend likes the B20 better than any Fostex driver.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My dad was talking about 2 inch boards, but that wood from the core has to be narrower than the stuff that is from the outside of the tree.

This is definitely a cheap way to go to figure out if I like the fullrange sound or not. The technical stand points are right up my alley. With its good low end with a decent enough Xmax, it should be able to play what I listen to. I really like metal and punk the most, but I never play really loud. I am starting to get back into the blues and swing and r&b after seeing Colin James in concert last night.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.