Hemptone FR 5" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2007, 05:33 AM   #1
chuck55 is offline chuck55  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hemptone FR 5"

Anyone try these new smaller full range Hemptone drivers?

How do they compare to tang-band?Hemp Acoustics

There appears to be another site with a similar 5" driver too:

http://hemptonespeakers.com/

So are they good enough for me to trade in my Tang Band?
Old 6th December 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
t-head is offline t-head  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hemptone 5"

The first link is for the 4.5" full range driver from Hemp Acoustics in Canada. I have a pair mounted in a BLH. They have been EnABL'd and sound very nice. They are listed at 92.5 dbh sensitivity. There is some question on their future availability. Solen in Canada is out of stock and they do not know when they will be available again.

The second link is for the 5" full range driver from A Brown Soun in California. Sensitivity is listed at 88 dbh. There are many other differences as well. They are not the same drivers at all...I have not heard them, so I cannot comment further.

Others may be able to comment on comparisons with the Tang Band...

tea
Old 6th December 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
LAL is offline LAL  United States
diyAudio Member

Chuck,
I have the Tangband 4" Titanium drivers and a pair of the Hemptone 4.5", not the Hemp Acoustic's. I made the modification to the hemps recommended by Omega which consists of removing the clear silicon "gasket" from the cone(see Omega at Audio Circle for pictures and explanation) The hemps are pleasant to listen to but my modified ones have a woody tone to them, sort of a fuzzy edge to music. I imagine the unmodified one do also. In contrast the TB are exceptionally clear. Everyone in my family who has listened to both prefer the TB's. I think the midrange in the TB titaniums is comparable to that of the planar drivers in my VMPS RM40's.
Old 6th December 2007, 05:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Titanium cones

Chuck,

FWIW, I also have a pair of Jordan JX92S full range drivers in a TL made by Carolina Audio. The difference between metal cone drivers and paper, bamboo, hemp, etc. is not subtle. The metal cones are very detailed, fast and dynamic. They truly sing with high power amps and volume. Your choice depends on what you like...YMMV...a bit laid back and mellow vs dynamic and detailed...I am fortunate to have both...

tea
Old 6th December 2007, 05:54 PM   #5
chuck55 is offline chuck55  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I will be staying with Tang-Band for now. I have been using the W3-871s and tried most all the 3 & 4" T-B except the polycone W4-656SC. That will be next.

I find the W3-871s to be more laid back, fuller sounding than the Jordans. I can not do this but thought maybe the Jordans with a full sounding amp like the Sugden would be a good match. But I use a chip amp so I need the fuller sound of the W3-871s even though it does have a definite "boombox" sound quality to it vs. hi-end. Sometimes this is good sometimes it leaves me wanting for more.
So far, on any of the larger 4&5" T-B's, the sound gets very harsh over 85dB. I assume due to cone breakups over 5kHz since I run them full-range. I do not hear this with the 871s so they remain my 'umble reference speaker.
Also soundstaging on the larger cones, especially 60's remastered CD's with ALL of one instrument on the left channel, sound particularly bad from the soundstaging perspective on 4 & 5" cones.

T-head what does:
EnABL'd and sound very nice.

mean?
Old 6th December 2007, 06:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Chuck,

EnABL is a pattern that is applied (painted) on the driver cone and then covered with a light (diluted) coating of a clear acrylic. Check out the thread called 'EnABL and Mamboni Processes' in the Full Range forum. Caution...it is a looong thread.

Basically it eliminates the inherent resonances/distortions of a cone driver and takes care of standing wave issues...much more could be said, but read the thread for details.

I think this could help you if you have a fiber-cone driver...PM me if you have trouble finding the thread...I don't have the link at my disposal right now. I will get it and post it later.

What type of chipamp are you using...some I have heard are very nice.

tea
Old 6th December 2007, 06:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

imo those hemp cone drivers are way overpriced.
you should not need to do any modifications at this price...
for heavy modifications, such as enabl, i would consider this driver
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-010 Dayton PA130
Old 6th December 2007, 07:37 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by t-head
Check out the thread called 'EnABL and Mamboni Processes' in the Full Range forum. Caution...it is a looong thread.
EnABL Processes

dave
Old 6th December 2007, 07:39 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterTwister
you should not need to do any modifications at this price...
That seems a short-sighted statement... i haven't seen a driver yet that couldn't benefit from some TLC.

With either of the hemps (and all the TBs) serious improvements can be wrought.

dave
Old 6th December 2007, 07:46 PM   #10
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

That seems a short-sighted statement... i haven't seen a driver yet that couldn't benefit from some TLC.

With either of the hemps (and all the TBs) serious improvements can be wrought.

dave

Except no touchy the Feastrex Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!