Newby DIY speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris... for what its worth.. I took the dive in.. and am building some Sachiko's right now. My room is similar to yours..maybe a bit bigger.. I will keep you posted on how they go.. ( i plan on posting some photos.. ). Anyway.. i understand and feel your pain when trying to decide. I am already thinking of my next pair.

maybe just flip a coin.. or draw straws... lol..

good luck

Jeremy

Scottmoose said:

Nah, it's symmetrical. Does look like it from that shot though doesn't it -I hadn't noticed that before. I haven't properly looked into differential tuning yet -current thing is focused radiation / curved fronts. I'll look at different horns next on.

Yeah, the weight / complexity is the downside. I think the sonic benefits are worth the effort for forward-firing boxes though. I don't think Dave's drawn up the plans for Saburo yet.

Glad Brynn's working decently -out of interest, which driver has worked best so far?

To preclude the risk of future misquotes, I should probably hold off any pronouncements yet. By the end of a very long day, I was very tired, and rather distracted imagining Alison Krauss "touching me for a while" - Could you turn her offer down?

Each of the drivers seemed to excel in certain areas. Compared to previous uninspiring results in a Buschorn MkI or even Frugelhorn, the FF125K stood out particularly on banjo, acoustic guitars, and bells and gongs on some of my wife's Zen/yoga music, although was easy to overload on deep electronic bass (i.e. Victor Wooten on "Flight of the Cosmic woofer tester")

Scottmoose said:
:D

I know what you mean. Have you heard her recent collaboration with Robert Plant? Best studio album of the year IMO.

maybe I need to listen to that one again - to be honest, left me a bit unmoved the first time around.

Glad the 125 is finally coming into its own. What was the problem in the other boxes out of interest?

Well, regardless of driver, I've found the Buschorn MKI enclosure certainly has more coloration and less LF extension and bloom than the FH. Mostly the issues were with upper mids - if Dave can remember the session, he might have better terminology.

In fact, I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but I also swapped out the FF125K's into a pair of Fonkens ( 3 pairs in the same room at present), and aside from excursion limits (compared to the FE127), it does a lot of things very well in this box as well.

Most immediately noticeable difference in my set up is soundstage and transient presentation. The 125s give a more forward, slightly shallower soundstage, and are more crisply dynamic than the 127s. Depending on the material/recording, the 125s can border on a colder, more highly resolved texture on acoustic stringed and skinned instruments for example (guitar, cello, percussion) than the 127s

Does it go without saying that all these drivers are EnABLed? Of 6 pairs of Fostex in the house at the moment, only the FE108E Sigmas in the upstairs system have yet to enjoy Dave's penmanship, and I'm sure that's only a matter of time.

Alison, Madeline, and Jackie (Naylor) are is just as desirable with any of these drivers, it's just a matter of what perfume and dainties are being worn.

Scottmoose said:
:D

I know what you mean. Have you heard her recent collaboration with Robert Plant? Best studio album of the year IMO.

Glad the 125 is finally coming into its own. What was the problem in the other boxes out of interest?

I'm listening to "Rich Woman" right now. She is every bit as great a record producer as a musician IMHO. I did not know her from Adam until the movie "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?", and the Soggy Mountain Boys thing just knocked me out.

I now have 11 of her Union Station albums, including "Live" , ifyou can believe that. :D

Scottmoose said:
They'd probably do well in Saburo, based on your description there Chris. It'll give the extra soundstage depth & touch of warmth they lack as-is. Might be interesting in Aiko actually, come to think of it. The leap in size isn't great from the 108 & the parameters are pretty similar.

on the to-do list, perhaps even this weekend

MJK said:
I recommend a Fostex FE-108EZ paired with an Eminence Alpha 15A in an open baffle. You can find plans on my site if you are interested. [...] I think would be very hard to beat.

Hi Martin,

in your article you used the Fostex FE103E driver. Can the FE108EZ be used as a direct (but higher quality) replacement. Same mounting position? Same crossover values?

I'm unconfident because the technical data values differ a lot between these drivers (but I'm not experienced enough to understand the effects of these differences). Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.