Enclosure for AN super 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I bought a pair of AN super 8 in germany but unfortunately there are no construction plans.
I need help to build the enclosure.
I listen Jazz, pop and this is my first DIY project, so I prefer a simple project (NO HORN or TQWT).
What type of enclosure would you suggest between Bass reflex, double bass reflex and MLTL?
Someone can send me the construction plans of the enclosure ?

thanks in advance,

luca t.

I'm not sure I'd be wanting the Commonsenseaudio cabinet designs. They don't appear to use a lot of common sense, and will be spectacularly mistuned.

You could try this MLTL.

45in x 13.5inx 9.5in (HxWxD all dimensions given internally). Driver centre 15in down from the top. 3in diameter, 1in long vent, centre 2in up from the bottom. Stuff 0.25lbs ft^3 of hollow-fibre material from the top 17in down, or alternatively, line the top, back and one side-wall to approximately the same height. 3ohms of series resistance need to be added to get the driver's response into line in this (or other) vented boxes. This should also help bring it's rising response over 1Khz down a bit -the basic balance of this driver is better suited to a front-horn or a very long, slowly expanding BLH (hyperbolic or catenoid flare) IMO.

Attachments

• ans8 mltl.gif
    ans8 mltl.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 723
Hello,

I'm working on building this speaker. I'm living in Italy and I don't know how close I can get to a 3 inch pipe for the port. Am I correct in assuming the important thing here is the volume of air in the port? In that case I could use a smaller and longer tube or a larger and shorter tube to get the same effect as long as the air volume remains the same, correct?

Thanks

Dan

GM

Joined 2003
Hello,

I'm working on building this speaker. I'm living in Italy and I don't know how close I can get to a 3 inch pipe for the port. Am I correct in assuming the important thing here is the volume of air in the port? In that case I could use a smaller and longer tube or a larger and shorter tube to get the same effect as long as the air volume remains the same, correct?

Thanks

Dan

No, it's a function of vent area (Av) with its length setting the actual tuning, so the opposite is required to what you assume.

Anyway, RonE has periodically posted a vent scaling solution example:

square inch is a measurement of area
a circle with an area of 25 square inches is :
Area=pi*diameter^2/4
rearrange:
sqrt(4*Area/pi)=diameter
For your area of 25 square inches, the diameter is 5.64 inches, or 14.3 cm.

It is hard to make a round port a specific size, so you can scale your length, based on available port diameters.
L1/L2=A1/A2, where L1, A1 are the original length and area, and L2,A2 are the new length and area...
rearranging again, and Realizing that area is proportional to diameter squared, and entering your port data:
L2=15*(Diameter^2/5.64^2)

You input the diameter of the ports you can get, and from that you can get the new length.....

Note that normally you should go to the next largest diameter pipe if the length doesn't get too long to ensure that any potential vent distortion with the original diameter isn't appreciably increased by using a smaller/shorter one.

GM

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Dan,

Instead of the bass reflex, try a voight pipe cab which is a mix of BR, transmission line and horn. It is much easier to build that rear horn and gives better performance (IMO) than a BR.

The AN drivers really call out for a rear horn though. What you have is essentially a cheaper Lowther.

Thanks for the replies. This is no advertisement. I heard a pair of the ANs in some Fostex double br cabs and really liked them, and I need to put together a system for dirt cheap.

The voigt pipes are a bit extreme for my living room and i can't afford the material (nor have i the skills or tools) to build a real back horn. so i'm settling on this solution.

I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again for your help.

I built Scott's MLTL for the AN 8 and really enjoy it, ra7 has heard my pair of speakers as have some others that were at the last DIY Atlanta meet. I have the AN Super 8 cast frame and really enjoy them. I will say I don't have any BSC or series resistance and mine are quite bass shy and also picky to amplification (At the DIY Atlanta meet, myself and others tried out 3 amps before landing on the mini watt, which was paired best by far of the amp selection we had on hand). I have some equalization which helps.

Anyway, I heard ra7's folded voigt pipes and they sounded good and had plenty of bass.

Josh

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yup.... Josh and I are fans of the ANs... The MLTLs also sounded quite good, if a little bass shy like Josh says.

The voight pipe is about 36" tall and quite homely... it is folded and so is not quite as huge as a BIB, which is essentially the same thing.

Josh, have you built any new speakers? I really miss Raleigh... I have been here for a year now and still have not found anyone with the same passion for audio. My closest audio friend now lives in Portland which is about four hours away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.