BIB sound from a smaller box ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2007, 08:41 PM   #1
sedge1 is offline sedge1  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default BIB sound from a smaller box ?

Sigh, after finally getting the sound the way I want the Mrs tells me that the BIBs are going to have to go. Our lounge is too small.

Is there something that will give me a similar sound presentation in a smaller/dfiierent package ? I'm talking about the sense of space around the music. Width and depth.

I've got a pair of FE167e speakers to build with.

I may be able to get away with something substantially wider than the BIB but only 200mm deep, can the dimensions be altered like that ? Essentially a side mounted driver in a squashed BIB ? ~200mm deep by up to 1200mm wide by ~1800mm tall.

I'm thinking a false wall, then I could build in my subs too Oh how happy the Mrs would be.

The easier option is something along the lines of a Demetri or Metronome, do they offer a similar scale of presentation ?

Cheers,

Sedge.
Old 16th November 2007, 08:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Short answer is little or nothing. That's this particular breed of pipe-horn's party trick and is one of the reasons many people love them.

You could go for a wide-baffle BIB cabinet as per your idea (I did the same about 18 months back for the Monolith box concept). OK, the expansion won't be optimal around the bend, but at least you'd have your cabinets, and it doesn't appear to be massively critical. You'll probably loose the last few percent of the performance, but better than nothing & you're retain the presentation you like.
Old 16th November 2007, 08:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Crossblade Send a message via AIM to Crossblade Send a message via MSN to Crossblade Send a message via Yahoo to Crossblade
BIB = Bigger is Better
Old 16th November 2007, 09:49 PM   #4
sedge1 is offline sedge1  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Ah OK... Bung !... Can I ask that you reply with a couple of links or books I can get to understand this stuff ? I need to do some learning before I plow ahead regardless

Is it the up firing horn that gives the width/depth due to sound coming out the top being dispersed and out of phase with the leading edge from the front mounted driver but being close enough to be coherent ?

Is it kind of like a spring reverb, only done with a box rather than a spring ?

Heh heh, I have absolutely no idea

Cheers,

Sedge.
Old 16th November 2007, 10:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Combination of things, the main one appearing to be the upward-firing -remember, they're basically corner-horns with a single fold, so they're using the room to continue the expansion -the ceiling of a room is relatively free from the clutter the floor has too.
Old 16th November 2007, 10:28 PM   #6
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Short answer is little or nothing.

You cant beat physics.

ron
Old 16th November 2007, 11:02 PM   #7
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Probably about as close as you going to come is to fold up the BIB so the mouth is at the bottom rear and position it to fire into the corners, adjusting the distance, angle as required. Another would be to exit the bottom side to fire into a corner when positioned along the wall.

Bottom line though is that the room will interact much more with its output than if propagating ~unimpeded across a ceiling and the uncluttered portion of the walls.

GM
Old 17th November 2007, 05:23 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: BIB sound from a smaller box ?

Quote:
Originally posted by sedge1
Is there something that will give me a similar sound presentation in a smaller/dfiierent package ? I'm talking about the sense of space around the music. Width and depth.
I'd think that in terms of those critieria, i'd guess (having heard neither a 167 Met or BIB) that a Met would come out the gate better than a BIB. It won't have the bass, or the dynamics, but the edge in smooth response and image/space.

dave
Old 19th November 2007, 03:07 AM   #9
GraemeC is offline GraemeC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Sedge

I have the same problem but I do not have the audio theory to derive a complete solution.

How would triangular BIBs hiding in a corner go? Much less intrusive than square boxes, and you could possibly put a bookshelf or display cabinet or a picture in front of each. And the top would exhaust into the ceiling corner which should be beneficial.

Maybe crazy idea, or something that might work?

Graeme
Old 19th November 2007, 04:33 PM   #10
WBS is offline WBS  Tibet
diyAudio Member

Default Re: BIB sound from a smaller box ?

Quote:
Originally posted by sedge1
The easier option is something along the lines of a Demetri or Metronome, do they offer a similar scale of presentation ?

During the recent Burning Amp Festival, I was able to listen to both the BIB with Pioneer BOFUs and the Metronomes. The BIBs produced a lot of volume for the money, but for overall quality of sound, the Metronomes kicked their a$$.

I'd look into building Metronomes if I were you. Higher WAF + higher fidelity = long lasting enjoyment.

Hide this!Advertise here!