Curvy Chang Opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm plugging my saw in and getting ready to cut wood for a pair of curvy changs with an FE206E driver. (They will have Dave's phase plugs and will be EnABLed as well)

Before I actually start though I was hoping to read some reviews on the Curvy Changs. The search I did on the forum posts didn't turn much up. I know marce has built a pair but he hasn't had the time to post his review yet. I noticed gychang built a pair of the straight changs but I didn't see any in depth review he did (sorry if I missed it).

So has anyone had a chance to do any serious listening to these bad boys yet and if you have what's the verdict... fine/good/great/awesome/better than sex?

Thanks -
Bruce

abpea said:

So has anyone had a chance to do any serious listening to these bad boys yet and if you have what's the verdict... fine/good/great/awesome/better than sex?

Thanks -
Bruce

Bruce, apples & oranges: while recent FMRI studies may well show both activities result in high degrees of stimulation to wide ranging areas of the brain, I'd still have to place a higher value on those of a 2 person intimate nature - if for no other reason than its relative scarcity.

Like I've told my wife (of 35yrs) who spends at least 12-15hrs a week at the gym, "gee, if we spent 1% of that time together, you'd have a hard time wiping the smile off my face"

chrisb,

Indeed my friend... my SO tells me we've been very happily married for 24 years as well. Yet some hard to get things - like an inexpensive pair of Western Electric 300bs - are easier to come by than other hard to get things!! ;-)

Enjoy the music -
Bruce

Re: Re: Curvy Chang Opinions

chrisb said:

Bruce, apples & oranges: while recent FMRI studies may well show both activities result in high degrees of stimulation to wide ranging areas of the brain, I'd still have to place a higher value on those of a 2 person intimate nature - if for no other reason than its relative scarcity.

Like I've told my wife (of 35yrs) who spends at least 12-15hrs a week at the gym, "gee, if we spent 1% of that time together, you'd have a hard time wiping the smile off my face"

If 7 to 9 minutes a week looks like an improvement, I'd say you know all about 'relative scarcity'!

:)

abpea said:
I noticed gychang built a pair of the straight changs but I didn't see any in depth review he did (sorry if I missed it).

Bruce

I did not put an extensive review on my speaker, since I do not consider myself a "audiophile". About 20yrs ago, I managed to own a used acoustat, and magenepan electrostatic speakers and heard some excellent high frequency from my usual instrumental jazz, popular vocals and occasional classics. Recently I build many DIY speakers, since my home is full of speakers (will actually move in next month to a larger home), and my friends and relatves have many of my builds, I have put myself on hold for more.

Anyway getting back to review, my Straight Chang cabinets are the best I have built. Without the tweeters just with Pioneer 8" fullrange I was disappointed in sound. I put the $4 tweeters with 2uF caps in and the sound was open, clear, and of course bass is more than satisfying. By far the best I have built and I listen to them almost daily, I agree with someone on the internet stating Pioneer BOFU speakers are "ultimate cheap audiophile" when matched with a tweeter.

Vocals and acoustic guitars are just outstanding, lower octaves are clear, BVR design are stylish and I do not miss a need for a subwoofer (actually sold it!) at all.

I use the speakers to drive several home mad DIY amps (I have moved on to the electronics side, find it difficult with a cheap solder and not being able to read schematics) and in my jest to pump the poorly built amps to maximum, I have heard some cone breakup on one speaker last PM which is disturbing. I may try to replace one side if the breakup is heard at high volume (may be clipping).

The G Chang (striaght chang), is gooood... I plan to build another with a different position of tweeter in near future (I have 4 more of the tweeter I have stocked up, noticed the price of these tiny are gone up, inflation...). MY wife and I love the style of the cabinet, and sound is simply good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

gychang

Attachments

• tweeter.jpg
    tweeter.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 483
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.