Fr125 + Wr125 help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2007, 01:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fr125 + Wr125 help

Hey,

Ive been running my fr125s in some temporary ported boxes for months now, and just saw those fancy new curved enclosures bob is selling at creativesound. I actually purchased a pair of wr125s to go along with my fr125s with the intention of building a nice some nice ported bipoles, but alas i dont really have the room for them I really love the sound of these things, but i would like to try them in some sealed boxes, as i do have a tempest crossed in at 80hz, and have heard that these mights sound better sealed.

So i was wondering if it would be possible to throw one of each into one of bobs 7 or 14 litre cabinets, each on the front baffle one over the other? or would this just be a complete waste?

im assuming this would require some sort of filter.

any thoughts ?
thanks
Old 16th November 2007, 04:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Fr125 + Wr125 help

Have you seen the design for the "BD Pipes" on the Planet10-HiFi site?
I was musing the other day that it might well be possible to adapt that one internally.
To wit:
1. Seal the bottom. (No port)
2. Instead of an angled internal piece, run it full length up the mid-line, making two separate, sealed chambers.
3. Adjust the volume of the two chambers to suit a FR125s on the front and a WR125s angled upward at the rear. (Refer to Plantet10's volume recommendations.)
4. The drivers recommended for this design are FE103's which are pretty much of the same size as the CSS units.

Could this work?

Doug
Old 16th November 2007, 05:21 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You could use the WR125 with a series inductor to create a 1.5 way system (+ sub) so compensate for baffle step.

dave
Old 16th November 2007, 05:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
You could use the WR125 with a series inductor to create a 1.5 way system (+ sub) so compensate for baffle step.

dave
Sorry Dave. It's not clear to which post your comment refers.
?
Doug
Old 16th November 2007, 05:40 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

i was referring to posr 1 (post 2 was posted while i was replying)

The BD pipe thing might work. I'd be worried about collecting dust in the back drivers voice coil.

dave
Old 16th November 2007, 03:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thanks for the replies! i think the 1.5way is more what i had in mind. if its not too much to ask, you wouldnt know the values i would need to make the 1.5 way in a 14 litre box do you ?

I apologize, im not very knowlegable with the crossover side of things, hence me going with the fr125 in the first place
Old 16th November 2007, 04:27 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Robertburchell
thanks for the replies! i think the 1.5way is more what i had in mind. if its not too much to ask, you wouldnt know the values i would need to make the 1.5 way in a 14 litre box do you ?

I apologize, im not very knowlegable with the crossover side of things, hence me going with the fr125 in the first place
I try to avoid crossovers completely so i can only speak in a theoretical sense.

The size of the series inductor depends on the width of the cabinet (actually the whole shape, but width dominates) 4560/w (in inches) gives you a ballpark of the BS F3. Then you would find the inductor size that creates a 1st order lowpass filter between ~ 0.7 x up to the BS F3. Then listen, tweek, and so forth.

dave
Old 16th November 2007, 04:37 PM   #8
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I would say a series inductor on WR125 somewhere from 4mH to 8mH
Old 4th January 2008, 09:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies, what size box would you recomend if I where to go sealed ?

Also, i do have a pair of 2" flared ports if I where to go ported, any sudgestions on how many litres for a ported cabinet ?

thanks guys
Old 4th January 2008, 10:07 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Robert - not an answer to your questions, but we got a couple of pairs of the the new curved boxes from Bob (maple and red cherry veneer) - and aside from being all MDF, they're quite nicely made and finished. FWIW, I've seen a few pictures of the same series in gloss black paint, and the finish wasn't as good.

Hide this!Advertise here!