Fr125 + Wr125 help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

Ive been running my fr125s in some temporary ported boxes for months now, and just saw those fancy new curved enclosures bob is selling at creativesound. I actually purchased a pair of wr125s to go along with my fr125s with the intention of building a nice some nice ported bipoles, but alas i dont really have the room for them :( I really love the sound of these things, but i would like to try them in some sealed boxes, as i do have a tempest crossed in at 80hz, and have heard that these mights sound better sealed.

So i was wondering if it would be possible to throw one of each into one of bobs 7 or 14 litre cabinets, each on the front baffle one over the other? or would this just be a complete waste?

im assuming this would require some sort of filter.

any thoughts ?
thanks

Have you seen the design for the "BD Pipes" on the Planet10-HiFi site?
I was musing the other day that it might well be possible to adapt that one internally.
To wit:
1. Seal the bottom. (No port)
2. Instead of an angled internal piece, run it full length up the mid-line, making two separate, sealed chambers.
3. Adjust the volume of the two chambers to suit a FR125s on the front and a WR125s angled upward at the rear. (Refer to Plantet10's volume recommendations.)
4. The drivers recommended for this design are FE103's which are pretty much of the same size as the CSS units.

Could this work?

Doug

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Robertburchell said:
thanks for the replies! i think the 1.5way is more what i had in mind. if its not too much to ask, you wouldnt know the values i would need to make the 1.5 way in a 14 litre box do you ?

I apologize, im not very knowlegable with the crossover side of things, hence me going with the fr125 in the first place :)

I try to avoid crossovers completely so i can only speak in a theoretical sense.

The size of the series inductor depends on the width of the cabinet (actually the whole shape, but width dominates) 4560/w (in inches) gives you a ballpark of the BS F3. Then you would find the inductor size that creates a 1st order lowpass filter between ~ 0.7 x up to the BS F3. Then listen, tweek, and so forth.

dave

Robert - not an answer to your questions, but we got a couple of pairs of the the new curved boxes from Bob (maple and red cherry veneer) - and aside from being all MDF, they're quite nicely made and finished. FWIW, I've seen a few pictures of the same series in gloss black paint, and the finish wasn't as good.

Actually, that was my next question! would the 1.5 way Fr/Wr combo work well in any of those boxes bob sells?

Basically, I bought all the parts to build tims aria speakers. However i dont really have the room for them at the moment, but id like to put the wr drivers to good use. The boxes i put the the fr125s in are kinda sketchy. So i figure ill get my act together and do something proper with all these parts!

Im just looking at all my options basically
I apreciate all the input!

Robertburchell said:
Actually, that was my next question! would the 1.5 way Fr/Wr combo work well in any of those boxes bob sells?

Basically, I bought all the parts to build tims aria speakers. However i dont really have the room for them at the moment, but id like to put the wr drivers to good use. The boxes i put the the fr125s in are kinda sketchy. So i figure ill get my act together and do something proper with all these parts!

Im just looking at all my options basically
I apreciate all the input!

As flexible as we've found the FR/WR drivers to be in a series of small sealed or resistively damped designs, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the 1.5 way combo to work quite well.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The more we play with these, the more i like them aperiodic. Except for reduced bass extension i actually prefer the 4.5 litre aperiodic we did over the miniOnken.

You could use the 10.5 litre (0.38 ft^3) box aperiodic or the 14 litre (0.5 ft^3) box in a convertible (ie port it as per the recommended, and then the port can be stuffed to give a range between semi-aperiodic thru aperiodic to near sealed by verying the amount of port stuffing). We are working on just such a baffle for the 7 litre robobox and a single FR. My quess is that the 10.5 litre aperiodic might well be the best.

Note: althou these robo boxes are all MDF, the curved sidewalls are actually 6 ply MDF plywood, the other panels are small, and they have a well placed brace. The weakest bit is the baffle (hence our project to make roboBaffles for these.

And do treat the drivers, they get way better.

I have also been noodling the possibility of a similar system, but using an FF85k instead of an FR, and making it a true 2-way instead of a 1.5 way

dave

So If i where to mount both drivers into a 10-15 litre sealed box with a 4Mh inductor on the WR, that would give me a 280-300hz cut off on the WR correct ?

Sound like a solid plan ?

Also what would be the optimal size for the box if I where to go ported, as Bob at creativesound has a pair of those 38litre flex cabinets from madisound that look really nice! and I do have the 2" flared ports.

tinitus said:
I would say a series inductor on WR125 somewhere from 4mH to 8mH

That's my vote.

chrisb said:
As flexible as we've found the FR/WR drivers to be in a series of small sealed or resistively damped designs, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the 1.5 way combo to work quite well.

Agreed.

Robertburchell said:
So If i where to mount both drivers into a 10-15 litre sealed box with a 4Mh inductor on the WR, that would give me a 280-300hz cut off on the WR correct ?

I had best results with a 6.8mH.

Also what would be the optimal size for the box if I where to go ported, as Bob at creativesound has a pair of those 38litre flex cabinets from madisound that look really nice! and I do have the 2" flared ports. [/B]

If you like the sound of ported you might not need the .5 part.

I was thinking 1.5 way mostly to get the extra volume. Im running these with a 120 litre sealed tempest, and I find my current ported fr125s start to run outta steam right when my tempest really starts to shine.

So i figure doing the 1.5 way would give me the extra volume, and perhaps if they where ported I could even get rid of the tempest for now, as i could use the extra floor space.

So I guess im pretty settled on the 1.5 way, its just a matter now of ported vs sealed. Im not too farmiliar with how to make the aperiodic designs, so i have no idea where to start with that.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Robertburchell said:
both drivers into a 10-15 litre sealed box with a 4Mh inductor on the WR, that would give me a 280-300hz cut off on the WR correct ?

Inductor size is related to cabinet width. 280=300 Hz is appropriate for a cabinet 13-15" wide.

The box is 0.38 ft^3 = 10.5 litres. You cannot get away with ported on that box (so the ports are not any use), you will need to make it aperiodic.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.